Second Skin Audio

Can i get some educated opinions?

i dont know what your all freaking out about. to me it seems like he was just asking whats out there. not how they sound or how loud they get. and im pretty sure he got his answer and is making his own decision. so IMO thread completed. so what is the use of pointing out how this thraed is dangerous and might get locked

HU: Pioneer AVH x5800BHS SP Amp: AQ 120.4 Front SP: Hertz Hsk 165 Rear SP: DD cxs 6.5 SW Amp: Crescendo BC2000d SW 2 DC level 3 12" Electrical: Stock alt for now XS D2400 XS D3400 Knukonceptz Kolossus Second skin damplifier

On 8/8/2012 at 4:50 PM, Brandon15zzz said:

I heard he actually graduated college with a 4.0 gpa. Seems pretty gangster.

On 8/29/2012 at 12:25 AM, ILoveBass21 said:

he could blow a sub powering it with a potato.

i dont know what your all freaking out about. to me it seems like he was just asking whats out there. not how they sound or how loud they get. and im pretty sure he got his answer and is making his own decision. so IMO thread completed. so what is the use of pointing out how this thraed is dangerous and might get locked

no one is.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Thread is being locked due to it being a vs thread, and so many any hear talking out their ass...

Clearly the SSA, AA, or the IA would be the best choice due to them all running a 3inch voice coil over a 2.5 inch like the Skar and Sundown. Dont get me wrong they are great woofers, but the 3 inch coil normally will take a bit more abuse and power when the woofer is built right.

The IA is overpriced coming in at $339 for a 750wrms woofer...

It is also lacking in the suspension with only 2 spiders it is very limited on the power it can handle before spider failure problems of torn spiders due to giving it more than rated power that the coil could handle fine with a better suspension.

It only has 18mm of linear travel one way (xmax) or 36mm both ways. Rather low for the price.

The IA also offer sewn tinsel leads which is a bonus.

It does use a nice 8layer roundwire copper coil, that alone does not justify the huge increase in price

The SSA Gcon is a decent woofer, $229 it is the cheaper priced of the 3inch coil bunch.

The SSA is oem'ed by Fi/AA for SSA, So you are getting the Fi/AA quality when you buy SSA.

However again, only a 2 layer spider setup, and travel of 20mm one way (xmax) or 40mm both ways, which is better than the IA for sure.

While it is a 3 inch coil woofer, its more than likely an aluminum round wire coil, which will generally take more power than a copper roundwire coil, but again the spiders come into play, and if they cant keep the coil traveling linear with that added power issues will arise.

Another frightening issue with the SSA Gcon is the fact that it has floating tinsels, its a common problem for all too long now with this style tinsel leads creating tinsel slap meaning they hit the cone on the woofers back stroke often times wearing the tinsels thing until they fray apart. The felt pad you see on the cone is a band-aide for this issue, however over time the tinsel slap will break that felt pad down (seen it time and time again), another problem with them is under high excursion they can rip if your woofer is moving farther than it should due to too much power, or a bad box design. From my personal experience and customers Ive reconed woofers for and just all the installs Ive done Id never recommend any woofer with tinsels like this. However floating tinsels is cheaper to manufacture, and quicker...

The Ascendant Audio Chaos, coming in at $279 and it weighs a few pounds more than the IA and SSA.

Its packing a stronger magnet bolted to the basket.

Also has 21mm of travel one way (xmax) or 42mm both ways, sure only 2mm more than the SSA both ways, and 6mm more than the IA both ways. While we are talking MM here, its actually a decent bit of travel, espceallily when you add that to the fact the AA Chaos is using 3 spiders it is easily going to handle the abuse or even more power than the IA and SSA, and less likely to fail under higher power usage.

We again are looking at a 3inch aluminum coil, as well as being rated at 800watts rms, which is only 50watts rms more, but unlike the others its built to take that additional power with the additional spider and the tinsels that are ran between the spiders. Your not going to have no tinsel slap here, or tinsels breaking from over excursion since they are in between the spiders and move with them.

You cant really go wrong with this woofer, especially since its only a little more than the SSA and a lot cheaper than the IA.

This is your most bang for your buck while also having the added reliability!

Both the Skar and Sundown woofers are also great bangers, Jacob owner of sundown was behind the design on both these woofers (as well as the obsidian audio woofers).

The Sundown SA series is the strongest woofer of all 3 (which are the Obsidian, Skar, and Sundown).

While the Skar looks so much beefier than the SA, the SA motor force is a good bit stronger as well as the softparts being used (tho they are very similar). If your after looks get the Skar, if you want all out performance and not so much worried about the magnet or basket looks that you cant see anyways when the woofer is inside the box get the skar.

Ive had done many installs with both these woofers as well as a few recones to stronger "spl" coils. These 2.5inch voice coils are no joke they take power and take it well!!! You will have no problem giving them 900-1200+ watts rms IF your power is clean and unclipped and you have a proper built box.

Just knowing what the SA woofer can do with my own experience Id have to put it as my number 2 pick in the list of these 5 woofers.

So from best to least favorite in my own opinion would be.

#1 - Ascendant Audio, Chaos

#2 - Sundown Audio, SA

#3 - SSA, GCON

#4 - Skar, VVX

#5 - Incriminator Audio Flatlyne (to be honest, I wouldnt even make this my 5th choice or even consider it ever).