SQ Car

Johny B

Hahahaha imax sq. Amazing.

LOL ... ok

So...then how can you get that from an IMAX theater?

OK guys ... My apologies for suggesting the IMAX theater ...

I understand that you guys have been competing in "Sound Quality" competitions ALOT longer than I have and has won MANY more Sound Quality World Championships than me ... I'm working VERY hard to meet up with your expectations ...

I've only placed in top 5 at EVERY world finals event I've ever gone to, but me and my "White Lightning" is working very hard to get better ... I listen and talk to EVERY judge that sits in my vehicle, and I have a very good idea for what they expect out of my vehicle ... I'm working on it ... I just have alot going on buying a new house and other family stuff ...

I'm actually going to MECA world Finals for one reason, to get the opinion of Steve Stern for the expectaition of my vehicle in next years MECA competition season ...

You guys want to meet up and talk shop, you are more than welcome to come talk to me, I'm sure that I will be making my rounds to every Sound Quality vehicle there ... I will be glad to demo your Sound Quality vehicles and hopefully you would want to demo mine and give me some ideas ...

Now, as for the IMAX thing ... Me and the wife went to the one in New Orleans, La during our vacation ...

HUGE picture screen !!! Everything "Sound Wise" was EYE level (including the bass response), VERY Linear, wide in width, unbelieveable stage depth to be a "movie theater", with a distinct center (i'm not ssure if it was actually a center channel or not, but very sharp, clear, and blended very well with left and right separation) ... sound was very dynamic, clear, and the large presence of massive power headroom .... The sound literally sounded like it came from behind the screen and did not seem to be comming from any speakers, just the motion picture actually hapening right in front of you ... Kind of amazing how it was set up, blew any movie theater I've ever been to away for sure ...

This type of Sound is what the "Veteran" judges are telling me they want to hear in a sound Quality vehicle ...

Maybe the IMAX theaters in your areas are not set up that way, I'm not sure ... but seemed like a decent example (not by any means "perfect" ... but compared to what the OP said he has to work with, decent) ...

Sorry for my rant ... Carry on guys ...

Thank you

Randal

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

It's not that using an Imax isn't a point of reference. it's that i would caution using it as a heavy weight of opinion of what something should sound like. My personal experience in the imax was that imaging height and width were great, however the depth sucked. My experience was the sound was too up in your face. when I picture a sound stage, I want to feel distance between me and the stage before the music field starts. Sound wise, the highs were bright and the bass kicked you in the chest. If that what a seasoned judge wants to hear, then i have that kick you in the chest metal preset. ;)

I would seek out some live performances. As ghey as the overall material may be, nothing beats listening to a raw instrument react in the environment. When you take what you heard live and try to reproduce that in your car, then you are on the track to building a good SQ car.

My truck has it's issues. It's center is as wide as a phat girls ass, the the overall stage is about 3 times that :D It's to a point where there is a void in the center and voice can be difficult to place. My truck is also full of energy. My horns are bright, the drums are very pronounced. but being a drummer of 20+ years, that's where I have my perception from. I'm close to the horn section, the bassist had to be close so we could work off each other to set the pace. The piano winds and vocals fall off because they were further away.

That doesn't equal out to being a proper SQ setup. My truck won't judge well. However, if you take that same energy music material and listen to it in a car that scores well, some of those cars will sound flat. Every part will be more balanced. When I listen to it balanced like that, the same music can seam boring.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Thank you Sir ... This makes things alot easier explaining why you think that IMAX is a bad idea verses this ...

Never go in a IMAX theatre to listen SQ. Grab a vew CD´s or DVD´s and go in a high end hifi store and ask them for testlistening,

Let them play there CD´s first, maby you listen the diffrence direct:

I had a reason for suggesting my experience with IMAX and aparently Kingsuv went to a different IMAX theater with a TOTALLY different setup ...

Just like Sound Quality ... every vehicle is different with the same kind of goals ...

Thank you Kingsuv ... You reasoning for the IMAX makes perfect sence to me now ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

My truck has it's issues. It's center is as wide as a phat girls ass, the the overall stage is about 3 times that It's to a point where there is a void in the center and voice can be difficult to place. My truck is also full of energy. My horns are bright, the drums are very pronounced. but being a drummer of 20+ years, that's where I have my perception from. I'm close to the horn section, the bassist had to be close so we could work off each other to set the pace. The piano winds and vocals fall off because they were further away.

That doesn't equal out to being a proper SQ setup. My truck won't judge well. However, if you take that same energy music material and listen to it in a car that scores well, some of those cars will sound flat. Every part will be more balanced. When I listen to it balanced like that, the same music can seam boring.

When you get time, Would you shoot me a link to your build / vehicle pics ???

Never go in a IMAX theatre to listen SQ. Grab a vew CD´s or DVD´s and go in a high end hifi store and ask them for testlistening,

really bro ?? really ??

Why wouldn't an IMAX theater be the penticle of stage and image ?? what would it be missing ??

And also, there are VERY Few sound rooms able to recreate what you would hear in a sound Quality vehicle ...

Yes, great sound, but never a "up and out on the hood (height and depth) and beyond the A-Pillars (width)" stage and image ...

And you can never get a "Up front" and "on the dash" bass response from a sound room like you can from a real stage or a Sound Quality vehicle ...

Maby we have other cinema system´s in Europe/Germany and it´s very rare that i go to the cinema.

I get my ear from alot of livemusic, systemchanges of car and home till im sattisfied and the blood of my family.

My granduncle "Ottmar Gerster" have his name in the US Wikipedia under famous student´s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoch_Conservatory,

if you click on the name you get the German Wikipedia site of him, but there is no translation possiblity to english.

cheer´s Cableguy

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

really bro ?? really ??

Why wouldn't an IMAX theater be the penticle of stage and image ?? what would it be missing ??

And also, there are VERY Few sound rooms able to recreate what you would hear in a sound Quality vehicle ...

Yes, great sound, but never a "up and out on the hood (height and depth) and beyond the A-Pillars (width)" stage and image ...

And you can never get a "Up front" and "on the dash" bass response from a sound room like you can from a real stage or a Sound Quality vehicle ...

Maby we have other cinema system´s in Europe/Germany and it´s very rare that i go to the cinema.

I get my ear from alot of livemusic, systemchanges of car and home till im sattisfied and the blood of my family.

My granduncle "Ottmar Gerster" have his name in the US Wikipedia under famous student´s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoch_Conservatory,

if you click on the name you get the German Wikipedia site of him, but there is no translation possiblity to english.

cheer´s Cableguy

Its all good Sir ... And come to think of it, While I was Stationed overseas ( was in England, Saudi Arabia, Italy, and Turkey), I never once got a look at a movie theater, they just wasn't there, except a few on the military bases (and they sucked actually) ...

However ... I did enjoy the local Pubs with the live music !!! Man, I miss those days ...

So I see your point ... My apologies

The best sound (except live) I have ever heard was a high end stereo place. Hi-Fi Buys here in Nahsville. Of course, no way I could afford the $20k per speaker price tag!

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

A good high end home stereo place ( not a want to be home theater place) will have some awesome gear to listen to. Most will have tubes, records, cd;s and even a few showing ipod solutions. Hell CES has half a vegas hotel dedicated to this. There is nothing wrong with taking in some material you want to listen too. Almost every place will not only give you a demo, but will take the time to explain why things are set up the way they are, and also play music and explain what you should be listening for.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Team Linear Power was there last year ... not sure if they are going this year

I know my truck wouldn't make the trip ...

• 1 month later...

LOL ... ok

So...then how can you get that from an IMAX theater?

OK guys ... My apologies for suggesting the IMAX theater ...

I understand that you guys have been competing in "Sound Quality" competitions ALOT longer than I have and has won MANY more Sound Quality World Championships than me ... I'm working VERY hard to meet up with your expectations ...

I've only placed in top 5 at EVERY world finals event I've ever gone to, but me and my "White Lightning" is working very hard to get better ... I listen and talk to EVERY judge that sits in my vehicle, and I have a very good idea for what they expect out of my vehicle ... I'm working on it ... I just have alot going on buying a new house and other family stuff ...

I'm actually going to MECA world Finals for one reason, to get the opinion of Steve Stern for the expectaition of my vehicle in next years MECA competition season ...

You guys want to meet up and talk shop, you are more than welcome to come talk to me, I'm sure that I will be making my rounds to every Sound Quality vehicle there ... I will be glad to demo your Sound Quality vehicles and hopefully you would want to demo mine and give me some ideas ...

Now, as for the IMAX thing ... Me and the wife went to the one in New Orleans, La during our vacation ...

HUGE picture screen !!! Everything "Sound Wise" was EYE level (including the bass response), VERY Linear, wide in width, unbelieveable stage depth to be a "movie theater", with a distinct center (i'm not ssure if it was actually a center channel or not, but very sharp, clear, and blended very well with left and right separation) ... sound was very dynamic, clear, and the large presence of massive power headroom .... The sound literally sounded like it came from behind the screen and did not seem to be comming from any speakers, just the motion picture actually hapening right in front of you ... Kind of amazing how it was set up, blew any movie theater I've ever been to away for sure ...

This type of Sound is what the "Veteran" judges are telling me they want to hear in a sound Quality vehicle ...

Maybe the IMAX theaters in your areas are not set up that way, I'm not sure ... but seemed like a decent example (not by any means "perfect" ... but compared to what the OP said he has to work with, decent) ...

Sorry for my rant ... Carry on guys ...

Thank you

Randal

The sound actualy comes from behind the screen it is perforated i did a few setup with these they are tiny holde in the screen alowing the sound to pass true

i would also like to had something to this conversation if you guys would let me

there is a few thing to take into account first of all there is no recording standerds in the music industry so tuning a car flat is a waste of time imo

there is one for the movie industry tho its called the x curve so recordings are repeatable thats why guys tune there home theater system flat

because sound engeneer tune using that x curve and apply gains from there

if you use the flat perfect frequency response aproach to building your sq system many will be disapointed

i had many guys come and see me telling me they wanted me to eq there system flat and 90% of them where very disapointed

Eqing is an art specialy wen doing manual paramatric eq but thats an another subject all together

what you want to aim for instead is perception of flat frequency repsone with a house curve that will bring back the tactile wile keeping everything still sounding precise

its all about the tuning thats what it mostly comes down to

and for every one that think imax are not a reference room well all i have to say is these room are engeneered from the floor up and for movie reproduction very hard to beat i have seen one up close and personal ;)

a car will never EVER come close to a home setup that is build from the ground up for music reproduction

there is no way you can design a car with equal amount of absorbtion and diffusion to make it work

hell i even build suspension platform for subs to not have cabinet interaction with the floor and the floors in that room wer de coupled from the side walls it was a accoustic floor! there is no way you can build a car to these standards

not saying a car cant sound good it can be pretty amazing but runing for perfection in a car is a waste of time and resource

just my 2 cents :)

idlew1ld the French Frog !

Archived