upgrading to a 2ch

I know that most head units put out about 18-23 watts rms to door speakers. Currently my speakers are just ran off the head unit. Would I notice a huge difference with a 40 watt 2 channel amplifier? (40w on each channel not 20w) Or should I just save up and get something like a 80.2 amplifier. I have not really dealt with watts driving speakers before, just subwoofer.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I know that most head units put out about 18-23 watts rms to door speakers. Currently my speakers are just ran off the head unit. Would I notice a huge difference with a 40 watt 2 channel amplifier? (40w on each channel not 20w) Or should I just save up and get something like a 80.2 amplifier. I have not really dealt with watts driving speakers before, just subwoofer.

You would see a big difference. Although the hu says 18-23 it's more like probably 10-15. Most hu and amPs do not put out what they say. Unless they are 100% efficient. Its more like 75-80% of stated power. So for what you are looking for getting a 100x2 gives you more useable power and room for upgrading later.

That is to hear and if you want to grade up here is a nice quality offer http://www.ebay.com/...=item3cc93e2387

That amplifier only puts out 60w at 4 ohm, I understand its DD but I have a hard time paying 45$ more for just 20 watts, unless its extremly underrated. I am currently looking at RF prime125-2.

You would see a big difference. Although the hu says 18-23 it's more like probably 10-15. Most hu and amPs do not put out what they say. Unless they are 100% efficient. Its more like 75-80% of stated power. So for what you are looking for getting a 100x2 gives you more useable power and room for upgrading later.

Well most amplifiers, if they are CEA compliant they will put out rated power won't they? I am in the process of upgrading now, and I would just want to be able to hear the vocals when there is going to be 1200w of subwoofer. But thanks for letting me know I would see a difference

Edited by DubinDodge

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Also could I run the RCA's though the "output" RCA to my subwoofer? Or would I need to run 2 pairs of RCA back from the HU. (I have 3 sets of RCA hookups on HU)

Each amp will need it's own rca patch cord to work, i would look into something along the lines of 100w x 2ch if your going to upgrade from your H/U power cause you'll get a much cleaner sound and have the dynamic power on hand to make those spots in the music come alive.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Also could I run the RCA's though the "output" RCA to my subwoofer? Or would I need to run 2 pairs of RCA back from the HU. (I have 3 sets of RCA hookups on HU)

Technivally you could but you will lose the ability to fade or balance your music. It's better for you mids to have thee own signal. Cuz if you have an issue later with your sub amp you don't want to have to be rewiring RCA's.

headunit amplifiers suck. external amplifiers are the only way to go if you want your speakers to sound more than half decent.

I finally realized that the other day. I was showing someone my system and they asked how I heard the vocals. I know the songs so I can hear the lyrics, but others who don't only hear bass. That's what made me what to get a 2 ch.

Each amp will need it's own rca patch cord to work, i would look into something along the lines of 100w x 2ch if your going to upgrade from your H/U power cause you'll get a much cleaner sound and have the dynamic power on hand to make those spots in the music come alive.

Ok, I'll run the second one back when I run the speaker wire up. But I really don't feel like spending 150$+ on a 100.2 @ 4ohms. I'll do some more looking around for a deal I guess. Plus I'm guessing that 100w will exlpode the xplods lol :shrug:

I have that same amp that I only ran for about a year to a set of components. If you're interested in it, let me know.

Sorry, that was cryptic. I have the Fosgate Prime 125.2. I ran it at 2 ohms and 4 ohms in different setups. It will run all day with no problems.

Edited by CleanSierra

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.