DC Sound Lab

DC5k on 16-18v low loads clamped ect

Since this is the most DC forum out there, I'm starting here.

I'm trading my PB 4k's for a DC5k(I'll be taking a hit on power I know) but I plan getting a second later on.

So I'm looking for people who are running these on 16-18v setups and clamped them. Or just their experience. How low you could go and how it was setup. I know some amps will run lower ohm loads with higher voltage.

I'm considering going to a 16v setup(18v running) I'll be running either usaci super stock or mod class.

So any input would be great. If none is provided I'll just try things the hard way lol.

last time i talked to rob i believe he mentioned the 5k will do roughly 9k on 18v....

That's a shit load of power. either way I'm going to run it. I just want to make sure the benefit of running 16v will pay out with these amps. If not, I'll stick 12v until the time comes.

I might go to D5's down the road. But those are hard too get a hold of lol. nothing against DC but no one makes an amp like that

just email rusty, or give him a call.

I'm guessing he's the owner? I'm sure he'll have insite but not all of it. Performance varies user to user and I'm looking for other people's experience.

Rusty's input would be great though.

just email rusty, or give him a call.

I'm guessing he's the owner? I'm sure he'll have insite but not all of it. Performance varies user to user and I'm looking for other people's experience.

Rusty's input would be great though.

yeah, rusty flowers

he has used 4 5ks in his astro on i think 16v (maybe mid 15s) after drop on 12 m2 level 4s, i bet he has some incite on what they can do.

Edited by ChevyBoy95

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

I have been told roughly 7300 watts @ 18v

That is about what I would expect.

Also, from personal experience running a 14v setup(16.8 charge) I would not recommend running a higher voltage just to get more power. If you want more power, buy the bigger amp, it will save you money in the long run.

The reason that I say this is that the d1400 and d1600 batteries have about half of the reserve capacity of the same size 12v battery(d3400). If I had it to do over again, I would just get the D3100s and call it a day. Unless you are planning on just burping and only need that 3 second burst, I would go for the D3100s for any daily application. They have a much higher reserve capacity and you can beat on them much longer before needing to recharge. Also the D1600s will require a much larger battery bank.

Taking alternator charging capabilities out of the equation, here are my recommendations for battery power.

5k vs 7.5k

5k on 16v, I would run 6-7 d1600s- $269.99 shipped each ($1889.93)

7.5k on 12v, I would run 4 D3100s- $369.99 shipped each($1479.96)

I have been told roughly 7300 watts @ 18v

That is about what I would expect.

Also, from personal experience running a 14v setup(16.8 charge) I would not recommend running a higher voltage just to get more power. If you want more power, buy the bigger amp, it will save you money in the long run.

The reason that I say this is that the d1400 and d1600 batteries have about half of the reserve capacity of the same size 12v battery(d3400). If I had it to do over again, I would just get the D3100s and call it a day. Unless you are planning on just burping and only need that 3 second burst, I would go for the D3100s for any daily application. They have a much higher reserve capacity and you can beat on them much longer before needing to recharge. Also the D1600s will require a much larger battery bank.

Taking alternator charging capabilities out of the equation, here are my recommendations for battery power.

5k vs 7.5k

5k on 16v, I would run 6-7 d1600s- $269.99 shipped each ($1889.93)

7.5k on 12v, I would run 4 D3100s- $369.99 shipped each($1479.96)

The thing is 4ohm rating so the 7.5k is out of the question. The plan is running two eventually. The 7.5k would put me in the higher class where two 5ks won't.

In super stock and mod you can run up to 18v so that's why I'm considering it. When running the lanes I'd have to dial the alt back pretty far to run a 16v setup. Will 5ks operate in the 19.x volt range?

http://www.soundoff.org/rules.htm

So I have to stay under 1800 @4ohms which is based on 14.4v published ratings.

Granted I'd be limited to 6 batts for burps. I'm tossing around ideas of a super cap setup too.

are you looking at USACi SS601-1800? I run (2) DC 5K's in that class for the same reason, and I didn't wanna be like everyone else and run the "magic" D5's from RD. I had a few issues but am hoping to have things a go for next year. I have 6 XS Power D1600's and a 220amp alty to charge them. I run a '94 Ford Ranger with a "S-10" style box that has been modified to hold (3) XL 18's. I ran 15's last year and just the direct switch from 12v to 16v brought me from a 157.5 to a 158.9, outlaw of course. I haven't clamped power with the new setup but I will as soon as I get a chance.

'94 Ford Ranger Ext. Cab

(3) DC XL 15's, check that (3) 18's this year!

(2) DC 5k's

(6) XS Power D1600's

158.9.......so far......

Montana DC Dealer/State Rep.