Second Skin Audio

I'm in the process of deadening my doors but before I put the panels back on I wanna make sure its done properly. I have the outside door skin covered and about 50% of the inner skin covered. Should I cover up the openings in the inner door skin to seal it up? I have two 6.5's and a tweeter in each door. Thanks for any advice.

you can and it often helps the performance of the driver but its not 100% necessary. IMO if you can do it and keep it clean then go for it. Use a piece of sheet metal pre drill several holes around the edge. sound dampen the front and back and if you really want to do it right have a large enough "lip" to be able to utilize foam gasket around the edge for an air tight seal. then bolt it up and done ive seen alot of ghetto rigged shit that works but at the end of the day if anything ever breaks or needs replacing shits gonna be messed up bad.

J. Jsig_253411.jpgMy CardomainFINISHED COBALT SS/SC DUAL ALTERNATOR PICS icon_nuts.gif

theres no such thing as too expensive when it comes to upgrades like that, because imo if you are gonna spend to upgrade then do it correctly rather then be a cheap ass ricer

Sheet metal does work and of course put some deadener on it. You might want to throw some speednuts around the opening because the sheet metal in the door will probably strip if you over tighten the screws. But like emperor said use some foam gasket around the edge to make sure it seals up good and doesn't rattle

Thanks for nailing this one Emp.

Also keep in mind that each door/vehicle/setup is different. I've said this several times before, in some instances sealing up the door may be detrimental to the sound quality of the speakers.

Speaker manufacturers typically design their drivers to be ran as IB (infinite baffle). By sealing up the door you are more or less creating a sealed enclosure for the speaker, thus preventing it from being ran as IB. This may results in lower volume/output as well as poor frequency response.

But again this is all speculatory and may or may not have any impact on your setup. I personally haven't seen any hard facts, just have heard opinions on what it sounds like before and after sealing up the doors.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

• 3 weeks later...

I covered my holes up with luxury liner and tape and it worked very well ... I can run my doors at full range and get clear sound down to below 40Hz before it fades away ... I know the quality of speaker helps but to get that low you need a solid door ... and second skin did that and my doors are sealed pretty much all the way