Second Skin Audio

ss xxx 18 help for 150db

Nao

Single port, deaden the trunk, test, tune, and hit a 50.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)
2013 MECA Trunk 1 World Champion - 152.8 Headrest (Teammate)
2013 MECA Park & Pound 2 World Champion - 130.6 (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Haha it happens.

Yea he will probably need some dampener in the cabin to get there although it depends on the car and frequency. It may or may not help the SPL number, but it will sound wayyy better with no rattles and just might hold your car from falling apart!!!

Rear firing into the trunk lid its worth a couple db!!! Not as much when sealed off.

I agree, 2 15's will have more cone area and should get louder if he can fit 2 of them in his opening and have enough room left over for port.

You shouldn't need a wall for a 150, a 160 yes, but there are plenty of people doing 150s without walls. It just takes a lot of time and effort, but then again so does a wall haha.

2012 North American Street Stock Runner-up - 150.9 on 1800 clamped watts (Teammate)
2013 dB Drag Street Trunk World Champion - 153.9 on 3200 clamped Watts (Teammate)

Checkout our build and videos !! : ) 150+ Trunk Build Log itsgordy1 youtube channel (click for Hairtricks)

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Last i checked rear deck was in the trunk :good:

On two AQ HDC3 12"s sealed in an impala trunk off of an AQ2200, deadening the rear deck and trunk space around the enclosure gained .1 of a decibel at 36hz and .2 at 48hz. So, I do it and recommend it whenever sealing off.

And for the wire, you're trying to say 0 gauge OFC isn't worth the amount of dexreased drop you say, when you're only pulling 220 amps. I don't see how thats a fair comparison. I wonder if say, you're pulling 560 there's a difference. Good test, but its also personal preference. You dont care about the minimal gain, I like to make sure I never see below 14.2 ever lol

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

And i assumed every single tenth mattered in his quest for his 150. I remember mine, it seemed so difficult and then I copped out, got a truck, and walled it off. Super easy then. But trunks are different entirely.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

have a big audio fund!! throw power on power. like 6k you are very borderline with the crescendo 5500. and have an alt and reserves and test boxes on boxes. then deadnen seal off or maybe see if its louder not sealed. just test like crazy. OFC wire good quality products then just maybe, not guaranteed you will do 150

You don't need all that much power to get to 150 depending on the efficiency of you box. One way to achieve it is power, the other way is efficiency and a hell of a lot of testing and tuning. Sealing off the trunk well so there is no gain in db when the trunk is open is a must. If you test it with the trunk closed and then open the trunk and your score goes up, you need to find more leaks in your seal off job.

Bump, have you done any tests of OFC wire vs CCA wire as it pertains to voltage drop and SPL? We did a test right before dbDRA finals to see if running some more 1/0 would help our score or not. We are going to retest and make a video of the results, but surprisingly they were VERY comparable to each other. 2 JL 1000/1 amps pulling over 220 amps of current. We want to retest with non regulated amps though to see if that makes a difference.

No i haven't made anytest with wires as yet i did think it made a difference i got Shok industries OFC wire, I assume that was ok

Last i checked rear deck was in the trunk :good:

On two AQ HDC3 12"s sealed in an impala trunk off of an AQ2200, deadening the rear deck and trunk space around the enclosure gained .1 of a decibel at 36hz and .2 at 48hz. So, I do it and recommend it whenever sealing off.

And for the wire, you're trying to say 0 gauge OFC isn't worth the amount of dexreased drop you say, when you're only pulling 220 amps. I don't see how thats a fair comparison. I wonder if say, you're pulling 560 there's a difference. Good test, but its also personal preference. You dont care about the minimal gain, I like to make sure I never see below 14.2 ever lol

I would put the deadener on the cabin side of the rear deck when doing a seal off and not the trunk side, that was why I was classifying it as part of the cabin. But yea were saying the same thing i think haha.

As for the wire, what I am saying is that at 250 amps of draw or less through a single wire its almost the same. If you go up to 500 amps.....would you rather pull all 500 amps through one single run of OFC 1/0 or 250 amps a piece through 2 runs of CCA 1/0 with the cost of the two being about equal. If you only have room for a single run and you are pulling very high current, I agree OFC 100%. I was just very surprised to see how close the CCA performance was to that of the OFC. Will try to retest and pull some more current!!!

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Sorry, I was asking if Bump4Life had done any tests before.

As long as its true to size or over sized 1/0 it should be fine.

I believe once you exceed about 275-300 amps of current it is suggested to run 2 runs of 1/0 wire. We were drawing over 350 amps through one before we upgraded the electrical and it was still fine. You will just see a bigger voltage drop across the wire due to resistance.

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Single 18" from the trunk is going to need a little bit more than just hopes and testing. I almost want to assume the OP isn't building a burp box and with 5600 watts on tap you have a good start. Here's what I would do.

Beef the electrical up to supply ample, get rid of the 18", and seal off the trunk with two 15"s. Single port, deaden the trunk, test, tune, and hit a 50.

Why would he deaden the trunk if its sealed off?

You mean deaden the rear deck and the entrance to the trunk where the box is facing? Don't waste $$$ on deadener in the trunk where the bass will not even make it to.

he didnt say anything about deadening

it will be easier to achieve 150 if you wall your car

I thought about a wall cause the guy i got the sub from over here does had 2 ss xxx 18s in a silverado each on a ss xxx 6500 and he did 155 on music and 161.1 burp sealed he had a removable port though for burps but that was impressive to me he's currently the loud thing of here or was before i got one of the subs, but getting back i can't do a wall im a family guy i'm just trying to work with what i have

And i assumed every single tenth mattered in his quest for his 150. I remember mine, it seemed so difficult and then I copped out, got a truck, and walled it off. Super easy then. But trunks are different entirely.

Yep every tenth does matter!!!

You gave up? Where is the fun in that!!! : )

Smith's Custom Seats
Martinsburg, PA

(Second Skin Dealer)

Archived