Second Skin Audio

Best sub-100$ 15 inch subwoofer?

Natsuru

Oh no, it's cool dude, I was just saying, i'm not exactly looking to spend a ton of money

Plus, as far as I know, the margin of gain past a certain point is... small

2005 VW Jetta TDIStock headunit(2) Sundown Audio E-15s @ 35hzPower Acoustik BAMF 1250.2 (will be replaced with Cadence mono)GTMat 50mil Sound Dampener

http://natsurutech.blogspot.com/

One last series of questions and i'll leave you guys alone

1. Can anyone attest firsthand to the quality of the Sundown woofer? If you ran it, how was the quality, and how was the overall SPL?

2. Assuming i'm driving a 2005 Jetta TDI with a stock 90 amp alternator, how many watts can the stock electrical handle?

3. Assuming I decide to upgrade the alternator, would it be better to go with a 140 amp alternator, or 170 amp?

4. Depending on that choice, how many watts could I run with said alternator?

5. Are the Kicker comp vr 15"s just complete overhyped junk?

2005 VW Jetta TDIStock headunit(2) Sundown Audio E-15s @ 35hzPower Acoustik BAMF 1250.2 (will be replaced with Cadence mono)GTMat 50mil Sound Dampener

The sundown subs are awesome. The 8 inch I run from there sa series. For what it is, its loud but really because of the box I built which is a large part if you want to get loud. You said you didn't plan on running much over 600 watts? If your not really big into car audio and a full time student then why spend a large amount money on a new alt? I'm in the same boat as you and its a challenge to have enough money for this hobby. Cvrs aren't bad but a lot of others here would recommend something else.

We can't tell you how loud your sub will be, but this guy knows what he's doing so this is what it's capable of:

Assuming you only give rated power to the pair, your alt should be fine. Just get a bigger battery and do the big 3.

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

ok, just watched that video and that seems pretty ridiculous

I mean, is 148 db with one of those things.... normal?

my final question and i'll leave everyone alone.....

Is running my subs at low power just completely destroying the SPL potential?

I read some stuff by Wayne Harris and he said every doubling of the wattage increases DB output by 3, so it seems like I would need a ridiculous amount to hit anywhere near that.....

Am I doing it wrong?

to save you time and money ill put in my .02 about your amp choice

i would find something more "stable"

power acoustiks run hot, clip on low gain, and will fry your woofers.

i know these things from experience. i dont mean to bash on them or whatever, i mean i hit a 143 off 1200wrms from a single 15 out of the trunk with it being my first 1/2 season of competition, but the 15 was getting clipped the hell out of, and the amp would get a little warm after a single song demo

'08 Chevy Cobalt coupe 2.2 base model trunk build:

2 9512iSC flatwound alum 1.5 coils

-extra 9500 spider pack

-8" platinum carbon dustcaps

1 DD Z1 (.375ohm nominally daily)

3g31 AGM

320a Ohio Gen alt

1 DD S4 4 channel

4 VO-M8v1's (holes cut for 3rd pair)

2 CS 6.5's

2 VO-B1's

Sony XAV-601BT

all Knu Krystal RCA's

Cadence 7band EQ

148.3db @ 32hz (burp)

148.4 @ 37 & 38hz (burp)

146.xdb 90sec average (center windshield)

Do you know of any amplifiers around 100$ that can do about 500-600W RMS?

I would like to go with Precision Power, but those are a little bit too much for me

Archived