Sonic Electronix

I have been a lurker here on the forums, I have been searching "Can you go over the rms wattage," and I haven't found the answer I was looking for, so I'll create a new topic.

I'm looking to purchase:

Rockford Fosgate T1D212 800w RMS

Hifonics GLX1000.1D 1000w RMS at 1ohm CEA - 2006 Compliant

I have a DD-1 which I'll be using to set my gains with so no distortion.

Looking at rockford's website for this subwoofer: http://www.rockfordf...x?itemid=112877

1000w rms is safe but take caution in my eyes. I'm not going to be playing the subwoofer at full tilt all the time, but when I do, will it be safe for awhile playing music at full tilt or should I only play a couple tracks and turn it back down so the voice coil can cool? I noticed other buyers of the subwoofer, powering it with a 1000w rms amp.

Reason I'm thinking of overpowering it is to compensate for some voltage drop and "rise" which results of loss of power, so I wouldn't be seeing the full 1000w, I don't think..not sure.

Setup is:

Stock alternator (105a)

Big 3 (4 Gauge)

4 Gauge KnuKonceptz (from battery to amp)

XS power D3400 Battery

Thanks

most people on her are pushing mor than rms to their subs. as long as you have a clean signal you wil be fine pushing 1000w to them

HU: Pioneer AVH x5800BHS SP Amp: AQ 120.4 Front SP: Hertz Hsk 165 Rear SP: DD cxs 6.5 SW Amp: Crescendo BC2000d SW 2 DC level 3 12" Electrical: Stock alt for now XS D2400 XS D3400 Knukonceptz Kolossus Second skin damplifier

On 8/8/2012 at 4:50 PM, Brandon15zzz said:

I heard he actually graduated college with a 4.0 gpa. Seems pretty gangster.

On 8/29/2012 at 12:25 AM, ILoveBass21 said:

he could blow a sub powering it with a potato.

most people on her are pushing mor than rms to their subs. as long as you have a clean signal you wil be fine pushing 1000w to them

Thanks for the reply.

Alright cool. I noticed that as well. I see even Steve Meade over powers his subs as well. Do I have to worry, at all, regarding over heating the voice coils when playing the music at full tilt, since the construction of the sub is fairly high grade.

Dont play too far below your enclosures tuning.

98' dodge ram

140A alt

Big 3

XS D2700

JVC kd-r310

Rockford T500-1BDCP

2 Sundown E12 Ported 4cubes 35hz

Rockford P400-4

2 Infinity reference 3way 6x9

2 Polk DB 5 1/4

2x layer dynamat all doors

Thanks for the reply.

Alright cool. I noticed that as well. I see even Steve Meade over powers his subs as well. Do I have to worry, at all, regarding over heating the voice coils when playing the music at full tilt, since the construction of the sub is fairly high grade.

just like maebros says. it is usually safe to overpower your subs a bit as long as its clean unclipped signal. i had 2 rockford fosgate 400 watt rms sub, an i ran them both at 650rms for a long time, an they took it like a champ. they were also ran at 900rms each an took it just fine. just has to be clean power. an use reasoning. u dont wanna say because u have clean signal. u are gonna throw 3k at a 1k rms sub. hope this helps

My build

98 s10 2.2

3 american bass HD 15s with psi soft parts. (on there way here)

atomic at-3000.1 (soon) 146.2 outlaw @39hz., bad alt an bad batt when termed (old 2 12" build)

alpine 6.5s in doors

infinty 4x6s in dash.

clarion cz201 HU.

mechman 240a H/O alt

stuff i still need.

SHCA 2/0 wire

SHCA 1/0 to 2/0 adapters

Atomic AT-3000.1

Lots of sound deadner

new mids an highs, still debating on what to do.

A few Deka g31 batts.

Thanks for the reply.

just like maebros says. it is usually safe to overpower your subs a bit as long as its clean unclipped signal. i had 2 rockford fosgate 400 watt rms sub, an i ran them both at 650rms for a long time, an they took it like a champ. they were also ran at 900rms each an took it just fine. just has to be clean power. an use reasoning. u dont wanna say because u have clean signal. u are gonna throw 3k at a 1k rms sub. hope this helps

Ah okay cool. I'm going to go with the 1000w rms amp. Super stoked to get this project underway. Out with the old, in with the new.

Thanks everyone who replied =)

Something else to consider is that music is dynamic. Unless you listen to test tones or boosted music you probably won't ever see the full rms of the amp. It's impossible to calculate rise till you are all installed and test it so don't count on it to save you headache. Like you and other have said, run clean power, don't play too far below tuning and use a ssf, and use your ears and nose and you should be fine.

Just because you see other guys here putting more than RMS power to subs does not mean that you should as well. Ask anyone that is doing it, and they will tell you how much equipment they destroyed while learning how over power a sub properly.

If you want to be able to play full tilt all day with no issues, then i would HIGHLY recommend sticking to the manufactures ratings.

I promise I am not trying to sound like an ass, but this is one of those questions that if you have to ask it, then dont do it. I cannot explain to you how to properly give a sub more power without having any issue. That is something that you have to learn on your own. You have to know your sub and your amp and how they perform. If you want to use more power, you have to know what size box to put the sub in to allow it to handle the extra power.

In the end, for a daily system, the difference in giving a 1000w rms sub 1000w and 1250w will probably not even be noticeable to the ear. If you want your equipment to last, just stick with the manufactures ratings and beat on it all day.

Something else to consider is that music is dynamic. Unless you listen to test tones or boosted music you probably won't ever see the full rms of the amp. It's impossible to calculate rise till you are all installed and test it so don't count on it to save you headache. Like you and other have said, run clean power, don't play too far below tuning and use a ssf, and use your ears and nose and you should be fine.

Cool. Good to know. Thanks.

Just because you see other guys here putting more than RMS power to subs does not mean that you should as well. Ask anyone that is doing it, and they will tell you how much equipment they destroyed while learning how over power a sub properly.

If you want to be able to play full tilt all day with no issues, then i would HIGHLY recommend sticking to the manufactures ratings.

I promise I am not trying to sound like an ass, but this is one of those questions that if you have to ask it, then dont do it. I cannot explain to you how to properly give a sub more power without having any issue. That is something that you have to learn on your own. You have to know your sub and your amp and how they perform. If you want to use more power, you have to know what size box to put the sub in to allow it to handle the extra power.

In the end, for a daily system, the difference in giving a 1000w rms sub 1000w and 1250w will probably not even be noticeable to the ear. If you want your equipment to last, just stick with the manufactures ratings and beat on it all day.

I have been talking wtih the PSI team as well as looking at the different amps hifonics offers. I asked the PSI team to give me a quote to build a subwoofer that would be rated for 1800w, but if it's going to kill my wallet then I'm going to go with their off the shelf Platform 2 subwoofer and just power it with a 1400w amp; just to be on the safe side and it saves a little bit of money. Upgradeing from a 400w system so either way, it's going to be boomin.

You make over powering a sub sound like rocket science! It's not hard build your self a proper box, if you don't know how to design one there are many others who can. Just be aware of your voltage and use that dd1 you will be fine. Also at first your going to want to keep a sharp nose to smell for coil if that happens turn the gain down a hair and see if it backs off. You have the dd1 so I see no issues

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

Archived