Macbook users, care to chime in?

I'm trying my hardest not to be an Apple fanboy, but having an iPhone and an iPad makes my life simpler and it fits better with my audio business. But, to complete the triangle, a Macbook seems to be my last option to connect to my sound board and be able to record...My current MSI gaming laptop is great, but no way to add Firewire to it...I'd like to sell it (or "give" it to my sister, as her laptops crapping out, and my dad bought it as a school gift anyways for me) and purchase a 15" non retina Macbook, that way I can use it for recording/audio, and use it for everyday tasks (surfing, gaming, etc.) I'd more than likely dual boot it with Windows 7 for Windows applications, and use the Mac side specifically for audio.

Config I'm looking at now consists of the 15" Macbook, quad core 2.3GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, and the GeForce 650M GPU, which comes out to around $2050 with a 750GB 7200rpm HD (will add SSD later on). The 2.6GHz is only a couple hundred more, and is tempting, as it adds another 512MB of RAM to the GPU...Anyone have any opinions? I'd like one that will last quite a while...

(I really wish the 13" had the quad core processor...that would be sweet!)

POTATO!

That sounds sweet. I've got the basic late 2011 2.4GHz i5 with 4gb ram and it is amazing. It's my second Macbook Pro and I love it. If you get everything you're saying it should last a long time and be super fast. My brother has a 2007 Macbook and even with 1gb of ram it chugs along.

E34 540iT/6

I have no experience with Mac's but I just personally think .3 ghz won't do much. I mean see a difference of maybe a second in opening a program or whatnot? The ram is sweet but just few hundred more for .3 ghz? I'd go with the cheaper one.

But again, that's my take on it. No experience at all with mac's or apple computers at all. Ipod and Iphone are all I've done haha.

Sheena = pedobear

I'm thinking the same thing, it's not gonna be a huge difference, so I may save a couple hundred. My MSI has a 2.0GHz processor (Sandy Bridge arch I believe) and it's plenty fast for what I need now (could use a little more headroom for SC2 and BF3) plus what I'll have is going to be plenty fast for Pro Tools HD anyways (when I get it anyways).

I have a couple of questions though...

1. Has anyone used an SSD and noticed quite a bit of improvement? My plans is to replace the optical drive with a 256GB SSD and use it as the primary OS install & apps drive, and use the HDD for media.

2. What's the easiest way to dual boot and install Windows 7? I'll use Win7 most of the time for music and games, but the Mac side will be used for surfing and media use. I'll have iTunes on both OS's and hopefully the libraries will be linked together.

3. With just media only on the HD, will I see a lot of difference in loading and playback with a 5400rpm drive vs. 7200rpm? And would there be a longer transfer time transferring I.E. a recording project from the SDD to the HDD?

POTATO!

I'm thinking the same thing, it's not gonna be a huge difference, so I may save a couple hundred. My MSI has a 2.0GHz processor (Sandy Bridge arch I believe) and it's plenty fast for what I need now (could use a little more headroom for SC2 and BF3) plus what I'll have is going to be plenty fast for Pro Tools HD anyways (when I get it anyways).

I have a couple of questions though...

1. Has anyone used an SSD and noticed quite a bit of improvement? My plans is to replace the optical drive with a 256GB SSD and use it as the primary OS install & apps drive, and use the HDD for media.

2. What's the easiest way to dual boot and install Windows 7? I'll use Win7 most of the time for music and games, but the Mac side will be used for surfing and media use. I'll have iTunes on both OS's and hopefully the libraries will be linked together.

3. With just media only on the HD, will I see a lot of difference in loading and playback with a 5400rpm drive vs. 7200rpm? And would there be a longer transfer time transferring I.E. a recording project from the SDD to the HDD?

Best way to dual boot, is create an extra partition containing your windows OS and stoarge for it. then when you want to load windows 7, boot off that partition.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I have an macbookpro 17" with all the upgrades. It's a really nice computer, aestheticly the nicest computer I've seen, but performance wise it's a rip off.

That being said for creative work, I'm a photographer, I really like the MacBook Pro and wouldn't buy anything else don't get anything but the biggest one! I think the 15's the biggest now anyways

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

Nothing to add but to say I've had my MacBook for almost 3 years now. Basically just as fast as the day I got it. It's taken some abuse for sure and it just keeps on going. Definitely love it and wouldn't buy another laptop for the things I need it to do

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

Nothing to add but to say I've had my MacBook for almost 3 years now. Basically just as fast as the day I got it. It's taken some abuse for sure and it just keeps on going. Definitely love it and wouldn't buy another laptop for the things I need it to do

And their apple is legit

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

Glad to hear positive responses. Sounds like it would work out better for me in the long run...and I do plan on doing a separate boot partition vs. Boot Camp, just didn't know if it was difficult to install device drivers and such for the Macbook...Thanks guys.

POTATO!

Archived