Sonic Electronix

Sonic Video - Why should you buy OFC?

One thing confuses me. He says aluminum gets hotter. I thought aluminum voice coils were made to take more power because they don't get as hot, or is it because they can withstand higher temps?

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png

One thing confuses me. He says aluminum gets hotter. I thought aluminum voice coils were made to take more power because they don't get as hot, or is it because they can withstand higher temps?

Never thought about that... Now I'm curious too

The only advantage I saw of aluminum over copper was weight

copper corrodes a lot faster than aluminum so it was the copper plating that gave you your problem. I've bought brand new OFC from JL and it was green when I took it out of the package. if you dont want wire to corrode, get tinned copper.

Hmm... That's really strange. I've never had any issues with my OFC corroding. Maybe the jacket was slightly acidic or sealed in moisture or something?

for the most part, our cars are a friendly environment. wire isnt subject to direct moisture so it souldnt be a real concern. perhaps what the other guy saw was the result of heat from a bad connection or over current.

have you had issues with CCA corroding?

Never thought about that... Now I'm curious too

The only advantage I saw of aluminum over copper was weight

the resistance in the aluminum VC vs. the copper VC will be the same, it has to be. now while copper is a better conductor of heat, it takes more energy to cool it down (and heat up) than it takes to cool down aluminum. so the air cooling, that speakers use, is more effective on aluminum.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

• 2 weeks later...

Id like to see the 1/0 vs 1/0 rather than 8 gauge getting put to the limits

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

Id like to see the 1/0 vs 1/0 rather than 8 gauge getting put to the limits

Here you go! This is the 1/0 gauge cable under the 100 amp test.

coppervscca0awg.png

Edited by SonicHD

468x60-forum-banner.jpg
2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 5.3L w/ Brutus 1700W, NVX 4 Chan, L7 Subs, Sony Deck & Alpine Speaks
Sonic Electronix Articles by Harry Donihue --> CLICK

Another good thing on OFC wires, is a OFC fine litz wire as speakerwire. I have on my hig-end homesystem a pair of 2.5 K speakerwire from MIT.

Once i broke a chinch banana on the MIT wire and i remembered the advice out of a HIFI-mag to use 10 mm2 (that´s 10 or 8 gauge idk exactly) as speakerwire.

If i use my Computer as signalsource, i hearded no diffrence in this case.

OFC fine litz wire is a true, neutral with a benefical priced wire, in opposite to alot of highpriced hifi and high-end speakerwires.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

Am I seeing that correct? almost .9 volts dropped on the 100 amp test with CCA?

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.