DC Sound Lab

DC Tech Support - Tuning/setting gains/from scratch - Help me from start to finish thread

First of all I would like to thank DC Audio and SMD Forum members for all of the help with on my stupid questions over the years here on this forum.

So, like the rest of us on here, I've put a lot of money into DC Audio products because I trust its quality and great customer service. As a result, I would like take advantage of the Tech Support and make sure that my DC Audio system is tuned correctly.

For this project I will be re-tuning my entire system from scratch and wanted to make sure that I do it correctly and with the tools I've listed below only.

I will keep it all in this thread and post additional steps as I move along the Tech Support suggestions.

Resourceful links I've used:

http://www.stevemead...ew-links-again/ (Used this as a guide)

youtube video ending with in the url extension: watch?v=ZeeobVmeU9g (good to see how to use the clamp meter)

Tools used:

velleman hsp10 oscilloscope.

DMM.

Craftsman Clamp Meter.

Topics:

Step 0: My main concerns.

Step 1: Tuning my head unit:

a) Tuning pre-amp for mids and highs.

b ) Tuning pre-amp for subs.

Step 2:Tuning Amplifier Gain Settings (DC 5K).

Step 3: Setting Crossovers (Either on headunit or manually turning the knob on the Amp).

Step 4: Setting the sub sonic filter on the DC5K accurately.

Step 5: Clamping the Amp with my new Craftsman Professional Clamp Tester.

Step 0: My main concerns.

Before we begin, my main question is, my pre-amp sub rca's is connected into a customized SSF (http://store.hlabs.c...view_product=12)

and is set to 25hz. Will this effect my tuning settings if I leave this mod connected? Or do I absolutely have to swap my RCA cable with a new one that does not have that end connection? If MOD remove is a must, will there be a way to set the SSF on DC5K without eyeball guessing the knob? (yes/no; if yes, we'll go through it in step 4).

[End Step 0]

[We will start on step 1 when step 0 gets clarified]

Step 1) Tuning my head-unit for max volume

Test Tones used:

1000Hz: 0dB (For Midbass)

40Hz: -2.5dB (For Subs)

- Begin with everything at 0 except for subwoofer level set to +15 (Max).

- Bassboost, supreme, and loud: Off.

Tuning treble/midbass pre-amp outputs:

use: 1000Hz @ 0dB tone.

Unplug the RCAs from the amp and hook the Oscilloscope up to the RCA cable (positive lead to inner pin, negative lead to outer section) and begin turning the volume up until it clips.

Then adjust your volume until the sine wave becomes rounded

write down that volume: ______

Tuning subwoofer Pre-Amp:

Use: 40Hz @ -2.5dB tone.

Connect Oscilloscope up to subwoofer Pre-Amp RCA's like above.

Turn volume up until see a clip signal and adjust until clean signal.

Write down that volume:______

Compare the results of max volume and if they have different max volumes, use the lower value?

[End Step 1]

Edited by moh.vze.com

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

buy a dd-1 read manual...your equipment is now "tuned"

I understand that is a great product for tuning, but I would like to not buy anymore additional equipment this year and use what I already have.

If I didn't buy that velleman oscope, I would have gotten the DD-1. The DD-1 came out right after I bought the expensive oscope.

Edited by moh.vze.com

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Dd1 + cc1 = /thread

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

No but this thread is exactly why I have a scope that collects dust. Its far from simple to do. In fact its a pain in the ass. But he is on the right path. Test tone at 2.5db is a bit conservative though.btw you're gonna have trouble seeing the wave on that scope when it squares off. You'll know when its really square but when you are going click by click good luck

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

ok didnt see you had a scope too much reading lol sry so went back and re read everything and i dont really see your question it looks like you have all the steps pretty much down the only thing i would suggest is to not use that ssf you have and use the one on the amp no there is no way to get it precise with what you have

No but this thread is exactly why I have a scope that collects dust. Its far from simple to do. In fact its a pain in the ass. But he is on the right path. Test tone at 2.5db is a bit conservative though.btw you're gonna have trouble seeing the wave on that scope when it squares off. You'll know when its really square but when you are going click by click good luck

before the dd-1 came out kingsuv set my gains using a scope and we used a 0 db track