DC Sound Lab

Do I have a blown sub/ coil?

Just hot the subs in my new car but only problem is they sound like shit. Hollow and quiet. And it's from the same setup I had before nothing was changed. So I checked each vc terminal with a dmm and one coil was all over the place and would hold on any particular number. What should each coil read when not wired , and or wired in parallel ?

Subs are 08-09 model lvl 3 12s.

read each coil separately. If one jumps around, then it is blown

Thanks man. Yea they were all right around the same impedance except for the one which was bounding all over.

What SHOULD they all read separately, with no jumpers on?

And I noticed when I wiggled the tinsel lead it stayed on a number... It's really weird

they could read around 2 ohm or 4 ohm depends on what coils you have my guess is around 4 ohms sense you have two

Yep. I have dual 4 ohm coils. Just didn't know if it was supposed to be dead on. One was 3.6 one was 3.9 another was 3.2 then the wild one that was all over. It still plays but just sounds like crap , like I said especially when you turn it up

Make sure they dont have reversed polarities. Sounds like they could be canceling each other.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Dont worry about anything else said here. Your question is do you have a blown coil. Take your dmm and set to ohms. Check each coil separately. If they dont match, and 1 is jumping all over the place, then you have a blown coil and need a recone.