Jump to content

I have a few questions about my first system...


Recommended Posts

Posted

Ive came a long way from my first post, I was expecting some l7's in a blazer. Now it turns out my first car is a 94 deville and I just spent 250 dollars on a setup.

- 2 HIFONICS HFX12D4 400w/800w RMS/Peak each. Each are dual voice coil 4 ohms. I bought them because they were only 30 bucks and figured why not?

- 1 Crunch Power Zone PZA2000.1 Mono Channel Amplifier. 500W@4 OHMS, 1000W@2 OHMS, 2000W@1 OHM. 100 dollars.

- Dual Slot Vented 12-Inch Sub Bass Speaker Box. 1.50cf airspace per sub - tuned at 40Hz. 55 bucks. I know I should have built my own box but I didnt want to go through the trouble of building it with my stepdad over my shoulder if not doing all the work.

- Boss KIT-2 Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit

Im keeping the factory stereo, Im going to unplug my 6x9s because they blew and hook them up to a line output converter. Plus I have a bose system in my 94 deville and It is wired differently than a "normal" car and I would have had to go through some trouble/money to hook up a new headunit.

Im just telling myself that my 320W RMS subs in my room are decently loud, and im pleased with them so I should be fine with these subs.

Which direction and where in the trunk (against back seat, middle, or against trunk latch) should I face my subs?

Should I wire them to 1 ohm or 4 ohm?

Will my subs automatically by louder in 1 ohm or can I keep my gain down and be fine?

Will my amp use less power in 4 ohms?

Any tips and helpful responses would by appreciated :)

Posted
"Ive came a long way from my first post"
"HIFONICS, CRUNCH"

disappointed.jpg

Take that back. All of it. Sure they are OK for $30 but you get what you pay for. I tried that same sub and I wouldn't run less than 4 personally. They are not built to last.

Which direction and where in the trunk (against back seat, middle, or against trunk latch) should I face my subs?

Try different positions and choose what works best for you.

Should I wire them to 1 ohm or 4 ohm?

1 ohm. know the subs limits. break them in first and then listen for them hitting the mechanical limits and don't turn them up that much. put gain at 1/2-3/4 and bass boost OFF

Will my subs automatically by louder in 1 ohm or can I keep my gain down and be fine?

The final ohm load of the subs doesn't matter. What matters is the wattage the amp puts out at that impedance. So, technically, the subs will be louder if you strap them to 1 ohm, but only because the amp is seeing that impedance.

Will my amp use less power in 4 ohms?

What do you think? (yes)

Any tips and helpful responses would by appreciated :)

Take that stuff back is my advice.

I posted this in another thread regarding the same amp.

Its a problem amp, id stay away, when i turn it off i hear a squealing sound from it, after like a month i had it at 2 ohm and it caught on fire,buut it still workd lol. And sometimes this amp would just go into protect mode the sec i turned it on, pza modles are junk.

http://www.sonicelec...-PZA2000.1.html check reviews tab

So, now that we have that out of the way.

What is your budget?

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

Posted

I know i picked some cheap stuff. and I already bought it. My budget was about 250 after taxes and shipping and handling included

I was going off the baseline that the subs in my room are 320W rms together and they are decent enough for me. If these 2 400rms each subs are close to my subs in my room ill be satisfied. I was just looking to add a little bass to my ride and ill be happy.

Posted

Run what ya brung. Save your money and read, read, read. figure out exactly what you want out of your setup. figure out what you want IN your setup. Figure out how much it will cost. dont forget to add in wiring and power upgrades to your total if needed. also consider how much room you are willing to loose.and above all else........BE PATIENT. Dont rush and buy garbage because you "need it now"

BMW 325i Kenwood KVT-647DVD

re xxx components

re 6.5 FR's

2 RE XXX 12's

2 US amps MD3D's

2 batcap 4k's

Posted

I know i picked some cheap stuff. and I already bought it. My budget was about 250 after taxes and shipping and handling included

I was going off the baseline that the subs in my room are 320W rms together and they are decent enough for me. If these 2 400rms each subs are close to my subs in my room ill be satisfied. I was just looking to add a little bass to my ride and ill be happy.

It's all in the enclosure you build and the quality of design and assemble. You can't use the logic of what sounds good in a house sounding good in a car. Home audio is a CONPLETELY different monster and is typically a much much lower power application. A sound wave has all kinds of space to develop in a 10X10 room and bigger(like a living room) than it does in a vehicle.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted
"Ive came a long way from my first post"
"HIFONICS, CRUNCH"

disappointed.jpg

Take that back. All of it. Sure they are OK for $30 but you get what you pay for. I tried that same sub and I wouldn't run less than 4 personally. They are not built to last.

Which direction and where in the trunk (against back seat, middle, or against trunk latch) should I face my subs?

Try different positions and choose what works best for you.

Should I wire them to 1 ohm or 4 ohm?

1 ohm. know the subs limits. break them in first and then listen for them hitting the mechanical limits and don't turn them up that much. put gain at 1/2-3/4 and bass boost OFF

Will my subs automatically by louder in 1 ohm or can I keep my gain down and be fine?

The final ohm load of the subs doesn't matter. What matters is the wattage the amp puts out at that impedance. So, technically, the subs will be louder if you strap them to 1 ohm, but only because the amp is seeing that impedance.

Will my amp use less power in 4 ohms?

What do you think? (yes)

Any tips and helpful responses would by appreciated :)

Take that stuff back is my advice.

I posted this in another thread regarding the same amp.

Its a problem amp, id stay away, when i turn it off i hear a squealing sound from it, after like a month i had it at 2 ohm and it caught on fire,buut it still workd lol. And sometimes this amp would just go into protect mode the sec i turned it on, pza modles are junk.

http://www.sonicelec...-PZA2000.1.html check reviews tab

So, now that we have that out of the way.

What is your budget?

Don't listen to this guy. Why would you tell him to turn his gain up 3/4 of the way? To the op. That's not bad for a first set up but if I had that budget id have gone with an ap mini instead of the crunch and for sure return the wiring kit. You can get a 4 gauge knukoncepts kca kit for less than $30 and it would be just fine on that amp.

Used to have a loud truck

2009 Corvette Z06, H/C/I, 150 shot, g force tune, 730rwhp/690rwtq

2013 F-150 limited, MPT Tune, leveled on 35"s

Posted

yes definitive get some bigger power wire. i replaced my friends boss 8 gauge with some cadence 4 gauge and he let me keep the boss wire just for the hell of it. so when i got home i compared the boss wire to some cadence 8 guage i had laying around and it had nearly 1/3 the amount of actual wire. it actually had the same about of wire as some good 12 awg speaker cable i have

2000 Dodge Durango

Subs - (2) SKAR VVX 15 D2's

Box - 7.2 ft^3 @ 33hz, 120 in of port

Sub amp - Digital Designs M2 @ .5 ohm

Mids + Highs - PRV Audio

Mids + Highs amp - Hifonics 2000.4

Headunit - Alpine CDE-100

Equalizer - Clarion EQS746

Batteries - Mopar group 27 + (2) C&D 52ah

Wiring - 1/0 BIG 3, (2) runs 1/0

Alternator - Singer 250A

147.79 dB @ 35hz - burp - sealed on dash

147.47 dB @ 35hz - music - sealed on dash

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/321slapinBass/videos

SKAR_468x60.jpgDD-1.jpg

Posted

and like other people have said, read read read!

2000 Dodge Durango

Subs - (2) SKAR VVX 15 D2's

Box - 7.2 ft^3 @ 33hz, 120 in of port

Sub amp - Digital Designs M2 @ .5 ohm

Mids + Highs - PRV Audio

Mids + Highs amp - Hifonics 2000.4

Headunit - Alpine CDE-100

Equalizer - Clarion EQS746

Batteries - Mopar group 27 + (2) C&D 52ah

Wiring - 1/0 BIG 3, (2) runs 1/0

Alternator - Singer 250A

147.79 dB @ 35hz - burp - sealed on dash

147.47 dB @ 35hz - music - sealed on dash

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/321slapinBass/videos

SKAR_468x60.jpgDD-1.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 3019 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...