Second Skin Audio

whats more important box efficiency or cone area?

Fatman489

So I have came to the realization that the hdc3 18 is simply too big for my civic.. I swapped out the t1000bd for an aq 2200d (same box though) and it didnt make much difference. So I am for sure going to ditch the 18. But just not sure what will replace it. I am concerned with being disappointed from the loss of cone area , but at the same time my thinking is if I can get a better box going for the new sub(s) that will make up for the lost cone area ... and if I go with 12(s) or 15(s) I would probably be able to do sub up port back like reccomended for my hatchback .. I have roughly 4.5 to 5.5 cubes to work with gross if I go to 17 inches deep id have to use a center port (my hatch is rounded so the center is about 5 to 6 inches deeper than the far sides) but I would like some input on whats more important box effectiveness or raw cone area. So what do you guys think cone area or proper sized box?

DFAC

Beating Down The Block

2013 Kenworth T-660 Studio Sleeper-The daily and Money maker

I do what I want -push it till it pops!

I doubt im gonna use another aq sub ... nothing wrong with them just wanna try something else while im switching the setup again lol .. was thinking about a dc XL 15 .. or maybe a pair of level 4 12s ect ... but not dead set on anything yet just trying to do my homework before I make a purchase so I dont have anymore stuff just sitting in my room lol

DFAC

Beating Down The Block

Both. You dont want to compromise on the alignment of your sub/box/port. Your box and port need to be tuned correctly with your sub. Going to cone area, its important for moving air, but isnt really the only important part of a sub. BL, or force factor, is important, Xmax, sensitivity (1W/1m), Fs, how much volume a given sub needs to be tuned and can your car fit it?

You prolly "could" get that 18 to work in the civic I think, but 2 15s have the possibility of being louder, due to more cone area and 3db over a single sub. Main thing is tuning your subs to the right box, and using good subs.

I get that xmas bl sensitivity and all is important aswell but again im mainly concerned with the cone area and box effectiveness right now as I can deal with the subs parameters later when I chose what to go with ... I just honestly dont think I can get the 18 to work comfortably in the space im willing to give up for it (roughly 36Wx16Tx15-17D is my goal so I can get my rear seat and cargo cover back lol ) so would you think a pair of 1000w 12s or a single 2000w 15 ? Could possibly do 3 10s aswell ... or a slew of 8s ... like I said im unsure what im going with just wanna do my homework because my room has too much unused stereo stuff as it is lol

DFAC

Beating Down The Block

lol yeah just like me, too much stuff! Well, I've always liked the sound of two 8's and a 12 or 15 together. The 8s have the upper bass and snap, and the larger sub has the deep bass. You could try the two 8's and a 15 sub. Or two 10's and a 15 or 12. Each combo has a different sound. I like using multiple sizes because then you get emphasis on all the bass freqs.

by your dimensions, it looks like the two 8's and a 15 sub would work best for sound, more cone area, and will work with the box size. Depending on your 10's parameters, you might be able to substitute them for the 8's...

2 12 ZVX's on a 3500 :P fi ssd if you want to do a dual sub set up, if not get a single ZVX 15 on the 2200

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

you can have good subs in a crappy box with crappy output. you can have crappy subs in a good box with good output. you will never have a crappy box with any sub with good output.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived