I think my computer is indestructible.

So, Last night i went to bed and left a movie playing on my computer, when i woke up i had a fatal exception showing. I rebooted and I got a black screen with an ocx error saying windows couldn't find an attached device. I first though maybe i picked up a virus, or my hard drive failed. I tried a few things, check the bios everything looked fine. So i started windows repair and the computer would lock up in the exact same place eveytime. Well, it would just keep flashing the HDD light in the exact same pattern over and over.

So i decided, fine fresh install. Nope, i tried disabling different drives, unplugged every single device except keyboard and mouse, Even pulled one of my video cards out. Nothing worked. So, i decide to check the cpu temp and well. The bios said i was running at 96 degrees C. Seriously, thats like over 200F. And the muther F-er was still kicking along trying it's best. So, i check my cpu fan and its spinning but something doesn't look right.

I pull my case out from the cubby under my desk and get some light in there, and i guess it has been a while since i cleaned in there because this is what i found.

Picture007_zps8e1ef6aa.jpg

That was all under the fan. Anyway, I cleaned it up, put on some fresh thermal paste. Fired it back up and she is running at 37c and i am back in business. I think, if i wouldn't have been so hasty i could have saved my other install of win 7, but too late.

lol, I have no idea how it is still working. The old thermal paste was dried out and just flaked off. And 204 F is really really bad. It had to be running hot for quite some time now but never gave me any issues. I have to say that the q6600 cpu's are tanks. I was even overclocked to 2.5 the whole time.

Man your lucky you didnt take your cpu socket and motherboard out running that hot. I clean my comp's once a month to keep dust from building up

Car: 2000 Ford Focus 4 door

HU: Kenwood KDC-X395

Front Highs: stock

Back Mids: Stock

Subs: Skar VVX-12 ( 1.79 f3 tuned to 32 hz)

Amp:Audiopipe APSM 1500 mini

Wiring: KnuKoncepts Kolossus 4awg

Usually the CPU will throttle down to stay within thermal limits

Yeah, that gets disabled when you overclock on this board, since i was at 2.53 instead of 2.4 it was just rollin along. I'm still amazed it works fine after getting that hot, and you know it was hot for quite a while, just not critical.

:ehh:

I try to keep mine below 60, no more than 70 for short periods. Usually it puts around between 40-50 degrees. But 96?!

Might want to try getting rid of the dust bunnies once in a while LOL

Archived