Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

What would have caused my subs to clip?!


Twostrokeking

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have two sa-8 v1.5's under the seat of my truck. They are being powered by a fosgate bd1000.1. Big 3 in 0 gauge and 4 gauge, walmart battery and a stock alternator. I tuned my amp with the dd1 but I can't remember what track. (it wasn't my dd1). I had 4 gauge ran to a block in the back and then 8 gauge ran to each amp.. Completely overlooked that when I put in the 8s and the fosgate because previously I only had one mtx 10. Anyways, I have a run of 4 gauge that will be ran to the back when the re cones come so the fosgate will now have its own 4 gauge wire. I only usually play decaf, nothing boosted by myself. What would cause these subs to clip?! People throw way more power at them then I am. Could it have been the previous shitty box I had them in?? Thanks guys. I just want to make sure I dont make the same mistake again. The spider leads were all burnt and broke when I took the subs out..

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Posted

Playing well below tuning could do it. Find out what track was used bc if its -15db then that is your prob. Box could do it if its prefab and tuned high. I really wanna say whoever set your gains with the dd-1 messed something up bc your spider leads should be burnt up

Posted

Exactly what the guy on top said. It's probably tuned to be playing much louder music and if you could find out what the box is tuned to it would help figure it out a lot

Posted

i only play decaf.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Posted

not to be a dick but it sounds to me like you don't know when to turn it down, if you push those subs enough to burn and tear the leads there's no way they were sounding perfectly fine when playing it at the volume to cause that damage, probably also playing too far below tuning.

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Posted

What rms are those subs? I can't remember but if your over powering then that plays a factor on what track to use with dd-1 I use -10db and have zero issues and play decaf as well. But my box is tuned to 32hz and I'm not over powering them. But it sounds like the person used -10 or -15db bc -5db you would no issues. I would try to contact him. What kind of box where you using and what's it tuned at?

Posted

Playing well below tuning could do it. Find out what track was used bc if its -15db then that is your prob. Box could do it if its prefab and tuned high. I really wanna say whoever set your gains with the dd-1 messed something up bc your spider leads should be burnt up

not to be a dick but it sounds to me like you don't know when to turn it down, if you push those subs enough to burn and tear the leads there's no way they were sounding perfectly fine when playing it at the volume to cause that damage, probably also playing too far below tuning.

What rms are those subs? I can't remember but if your over powering then that plays a factor on what track to use with dd-1 I use -10db and have zero issues and play decaf as well. But my box is tuned to 32hz and I'm not over powering them. But it sounds like the person used -10 or -15db bc -5db you would no issues. I would try to contact him. What kind of box where you using and what's it tuned at?

Subs are 400 rms i believe. I tuned the amp and i built the box. The box is tuned at 33 hz. I will just turn the gain down a little because i dont have access to a dd1 anymore.

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Posted

its an underseat box right/ Is your port about seven miles long. smaller box lower tuning means you need a longer port. you may not be as low tuned as you think.

tinsels broke = over driven.

I dont think a 1000bd has a subsonic on it. is it the old foreman grill looking ones.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 412 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...