Sundown Audio

How low can voltage dope before damage?

CNF Kevosinn

Depends how they built the amp. You can do regulated and still scale power output with voltage, but it doesnt happen often.

As to non-regulated having this issue, I already answered that.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

I wish I knew the technical answers to your questions. I would contact dbr or any amplifier repair facility for a correct answer lol.

I wish I knew too. Everyone I've ever talked to can say it is, but can't say why. And that's what I've always been chasing after hahaha

Done with the thread jack. Sorry OP!

Didn't you have a thread on this before? I remember there being good information in it...

I'll try find it.

Edit: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149612-why-is-low-voltage-bad-for-amps/

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

Didn't you have a thread on this before? I remember there being good information in it...

I'll try find it.

Edit: http://www.stevemead...e-bad-for-amps/

Yeah. Lots of good information indeed. From what I understood is that low voltage is really only a problem for amps with regulated power supplies - since they draw more power the more the voltage drops. Vs. an unregulated power supply will taper off the lower the voltage gets.

But then this thread came along and I was reading that it is bad for unregulated amps too. So now I'm back to answer seeking lol

guys no matter if you got regulated or unregulated amps you're forgeting one major component...the vehicle that the sound system is on...also you're forgeting the voltage drop due to power wire getting heated and the ampere drop due to that heat also...it's just one minor thing that can save you from the magic smoke...big power bank with good low internal resistance car audio batts.i played 2 in a row bass races with engine turned off and i never dropped bellow 12.4 volts...but i played full tilt with music and the car stopped and i've seen 12.1 volts which made me feel uncomfortable...

'92 toy rolla EE90/AE92 1.3lt 12 x 8inch beyma (mids) 6 x beyma CP21-F tweeters(highs) 4 x 15 SPL Dynamics SPL380 D2(walled) 2 x ESX Vision 2500.2(mids,highs) 1 x SPL Dynamics D9-XS(subs) 4 x stinger SPV70 + 5 X SVR platinum 3500P batts 157.2 official on db drag comp-157.3 on same comp but eliminated...still a work in progress... Team Hxomania Trikala http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/156885-lil-noisy-toy-rolla/

guys no matter if you got regulated or unregulated amps you're forgeting one major component...the vehicle that the sound system is on...also you're forgeting the voltage drop due to power wire getting heated and the ampere drop due to that heat also...it's just one minor thing that can save you from the magic smoke...big power bank with good low internal resistance car audio batts.i played 2 in a row bass races with engine turned off and i never dropped bellow 12.4 volts...but i played full tilt with music and the car stopped and i've seen 12.1 volts which made me feel uncomfortable...

If you have voltage drop due to wire heat you have a real big issue.

Voltage drop tends to only be due to poor power supply (battery, alternator) or thermal runaway in the amplifier.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived