horsepower estimate on 5.3l ls engine

I'll happily take a 4L60/80 all day over a non OD outdated trans. You might as well suggest a Powerglide. High/low and done...

A 4L80 is COMPLETELY different than a 4L60.

Just because they're both a 4-speed, doesn't mean they're the same. and the price reflects that.

4L80 is, basically, a 400 with OD.

2 HDC3 18's

AQ2200D

the transmission came with the package,as for the rear end its a 12 bolt with positraction not sure on the gearing yet

JEEP BUILD PROJECT ANTIBLING.2000 jeep Cherokee.HEADUNITAlpine Cda-9886SUBSTAGE1 acendent 18" audio mayhem motor with a TI basket and tantric parts1 prototype DAT hellfire 1000.1HIGHSStockELECTRICALdb link 0 gaugeKnuconceptz Kolossus 4 gauge1 xs power d3400 under hoodBig 3 upgradeold fourwheeler build

The only way to delete your SMD account is for you crawl to steve meades door step on your knees and pleade for his forgiveness and acceptance to be released...He will either grant your wishes.....or choke you with a large piece of 0 gauge and electrocute you by hooking up a solid gold DC 12k at 0.000001 ohm and 10000 volts to your eye sockets and blow your head apart

You guys act like you have never clogged a toilet and ran around the bathroom frantically hoping it don't overflow.

I would be very suprised if you see anything over 200rwhp without major mods. The HP numbers you quoted in the original post were flywheel hp used by GM to make the engines seem stronger than they are. Look into going back with EFI, its so much easier to work with and you can dial in a consistent A/F so you can push the tune to the limit and still be safe. A good cam and stall converter can make it have great seat of the pants accelleration but you have a heavy car so pick your mods wisely. LS motors do love boost, I have a super charger on mine and it eats everything I can throw at it.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

my 5.3 in my truck with LT headers, cat delete, egr delete, electric fans and K&N CAI

Dyno jet dyno made 268 hp and 300 torque.

01 model LS motor truck version.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

DynoJets are notoriously high. They are a great tuning tool but not very accurate for numbers, and any good tuner can manipulate his dyno to show as high as he wants to make his customers happy with his work. Not saying that this is the case but that seems unreallistic with those mods. FYI my 5.3l with E-Fans and CAI and tune barely broke over 200rwhp on a dyno that is properly callibrated. Same dyno showed 740rwhp with the new engine and SC.

HP numbers are all great on paper but things like a stall converter can make smaller HP numbers feel stronger than they are.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

60E

F/I

4.8 convertor

Long tubes

A real tune, and i bet you see 290-300 wheel

The TC out of a 4.8 is a cool trick that really works while using oem parts.

Stock your setup would prob do 200-210 whp

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

• 2 weeks later...

Pull the heads off and port them. Its just the ancient push rod design, so you can actually work with it yourself. Then you can port it yourself with some time, a dremel, and some sandpaper. Also, if you arent doing a cam you could do 1.7 ratio rockers and push rods to get a little more out of it. They are both very cost effective and pull quite a bit of horsepower out of it. Also since you are pulling the heads off you could run thinner gaskets since you will have to replace the gaskets anyways, i think that will bump compression like .12. not much. Maybe mill the heads for a good comp boost?

2006 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0l-Rockford Fosgate 6x8s 3-ways- Sundown Audio SA-8- 3.64ft3 tline box in naked mdf- Kicker zx750.1- 0/1 Gauge wires- Pioneer head unit stuff to come:16 steve meade 18's7 rockford fosgate t15000bdcpa fleet of escaladeslol jk new car?

Pull the heads off and port them. Its just the ancient push rod design, so you can actually work with it yourself. Then you can port it yourself with some time, a dremel, and some sandpaper. Also, if you arent doing a cam you could do 1.7 ratio rockers and push rods to get a little more out of it. They are both very cost effective and pull quite a bit of horsepower out of it. Also since you are pulling the heads off you could run thinner gaskets since you will have to replace the gaskets anyways, i think that will bump compression like .12. not much. Maybe mill the heads for a good comp boost?

You are absolutely correct, LS motors love a good set of heads and milling the head will create higher compression but be careful about how high you go because you may end up requiring premium fuel so figure that cost into what you want to do. After porting the heads or getting a higher flowing set of heads get a big cam and a 3000 rpm or higher stall converter and this will throw down some good numbers. (LS motors love boost too)

No ECU tune will be needed on a NON EFI motor, since there wont be an ECU, so throw Black Bear out. Engine is good for a solid 300 in my opinion. I'd get my power out of valve train if I were you, and breathing mods, air in, air out.

Why go with a turbo 400?!?!? You're wasting all that torque in my opinion. A 4L60E has a MUCH lower first gear ratio, like 3.5:1. You'll holeshot like a motherfucker with a 700R4 or 4L60E. That's just my opinion. What rear end and gear ratio will you be running?

i wouldnt run a 700r4 or a 4l60e not unless it would be heavily modded or use for a stock engine i wasnt planning on going to the track.. i went that rout on many of my cars to save on fuel and all it did was have burn clutches or broken core cases as they couldnt take the torq. the only time they worked for me was gutting it and using a beast sunshell and all high end clutch packs and top of the line shift kits that went up to the $150 price mark. so basically putting about 2k in one.. that engine will be around 225 hp due to the th400 and its heavy internals

and by the way.. there will be ecu tuning since it has individual coil pack per cylinder and no distributor so it needs the ecu to control the spark and timing.. the thing that will be a bitch to tune will be the carburetor since there is no way to make it throw the needed fuel, so in other words you cant tune the fuel curve on one.the best you can do is jet it and hope for the best . i say get rid of the intake and carb and run efi on it and boost it

Archived