BIG 3 DONE!!

Ha I did mine today too. Well, at least all the wires are made. Took forever to get exact measurements and figure out where to run wires.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Ha I did mine today too. Well, at least all the wires are made. Took forever to get exact measurements and figure out where to run wires.

It does take quite some time for something that you would think would be simple

Kenwood Excelon x396AQ2200Fi Q 12XS D3400

XS XP30001/0 RADAFLEXStinger volt meter

Mechman 240a alt

OK, I'll do my best to provide my constructive criticism without offending anyone, especially the OP. Here are the problems I see with this installation - and about 99% of all other DIY Big 3 Upgrade installs:

1. Connections to the body are poor:

a. it appears the hole in the eyelet at the bottom is too large so good contact with the metal cannot be achieved

b. all eyelets should be secured with lock washers, flat washers, and proper hardware

c. no star washers between the eyelet and the metal

d. nothing to prevent the bare metal from rusting

2. Cable terminations are poor:

a. it is difficult to tell how the eyelets are terminated on the cable, but the electrical tape looks to be an integral part of this - especially at the lug on the battery negative

b. eyelets are not tin plated

3. Point of commonality for the return path of the alternator, battery, and audio system has not been optimized.

4. Poor serviceability - removing the battery would be unnecessarily difficult

This kind of installation will begin degrading nearly instantly - lugs will oxidize, bare metal will rust, lug to metal connections will rapidly increase in resistance, etc. If the lugs are not terminated on the cables correctly, those terminations will also begin to break down. Weather, moisture, and current draw will each play a role in this.

It's hard to tell, but this looks like it may be a Honda. Regardless, the core support is a less than ideal place for your return path commonality. It's also difficult to tell, but if the top ground cable to the body goes to the engine block, that's really not helping.

Listen, I know - criticism is difficult to swallow. But, I would question the effectiveness of such an installation. Every single kit I build and sell delivers the EXACT results you guys are seeking. Am I doing a poor job of marketing that? Is it really better to save a few bucks and end up with something that kinda sorta somewhat does the job OK?

Again, my comments are not intended to offend anyone. Sorry if they have.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

OK, I'll do my best to provide my constructive criticism without offending anyone, especially the OP. Here are the problems I see with this installation - and about 99% of all other DIY Big 3 Upgrade installs:

a. it appears the hole in the eyelet at the bottom is too large so good contact with the metal cannot be achieved

b. all eyelets should be secured with lock washers, flat washers, and proper hardware

a. it is difficult to tell how the eyelets are terminated on the cable, but the electrical tape looks to be an integral part of this - especially at the lug on the battery negative

3. Point of commonality for the return path of the alternator, battery, and audio system has not been optimized.

This kind of installation will begin degrading nearly instantly - lugs will oxidize, bare metal will rust, lug to metal connections will rapidly increase in resistance, etc. If the lugs are not terminated on the cables correctly, those terminations will also begin to break down. Weather, moisture, and current draw will each play a role in this.

It's hard to tell, but this looks like it may be a Honda. Regardless, the core support is a less than ideal place for your return path commonality. It's also difficult to tell, but if the top ground cable to the body goes to the engine block, that's really not helping.

Listen, I know - criticism is difficult to swallow. But, I would question the effectiveness of such an installation. Every single kit I build and sell delivers the EXACT results you guys are seeking. Am I doing a poor job of marketing that? Is it really better to save a few bucks and end up with something that kinda sorta somewhat does the job OK?

Thank you the criticsm but most of what you stated is obvious common sense. If I have it the way I do it's for a reason, such as the eyes being to big. The nearest hardware store is a good 30 minutes away and I haven't picked any washers up. Not using common locations goes along with that. I didn't have a bolt that both terminal rings or lugs could fit on. Thanks for the help though.

Edit. However at the time I was doing this it was dark and I didn't realize the body connected right there so I fixed that and put the two grounds in the same spot ( the lower in this picture ) and fixed the washer problem and just used the lug with the smaller eye on top.

Kenwood Excelon x396AQ2200Fi Q 12XS D3400

XS XP30001/0 RADAFLEXStinger volt meter

Mechman 240a alt

Thanks for the great post, I'm printing this for my 2013 build tips folder :)

So with what Tony said, what all needs to be fixed?

Read what he wrote, Its very clear and well written.

Archived