benefits of building over buying

I'm still currently in the market for a new computer and was wondering if there are any benefits of building a computer over buying one from a manufacturer. I feel like building one can add up $ real fast but I like the idea of building it from scratch.

Any way opinions, comments?

Well, the main benefits of building your own is that you pick what you want to put, already assembled computers tend to have some stuff you don't need or use, or sometimes the motherboard is crap, or the PSU is crap as well.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Lol at technical support and warranty, I'm my own technical support lol

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Pretty much what everyone said.

Pre-built (Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, etc.):

​Warranty support w/ options for extended warranty as well as in-home service

Plug in, power on, done

Few choices for component upgrades (CPU, RAM, storage)

Manufacturers cut costs by using lower-quality components

Costs more than building it yourself

Limited upgradability

Boutique (iBuyPower, Alienware, Falcon Northwest, Digital Storm, etc.):

​Warranty support w/ options for extended warranty as well as in-home service

Plug in, power on, done

More choices for component upgrades (CPU, RAM, storage, graphics, some case options)

Generally use better components than pre-built units

Costs a lot more than building it yourself

Limited upgradability

Custom built by you (or someone you know):

No warranty support for the whole machine. Each part is warrantied separately. You must service/troubleshoot it yourself (24-hour tech support?)

You have to build it and install the OS/programs yourself. It will take a few hours out of your day

100% customization. Pick the exact parts you want and put them in the case that fits your style

Becasue you're picking the parts you want (and you have us to help) you can avoid buying low-quality or unreliable components

Costs less to get the same specs as a pre-built or boutique unit. Keep that money in the bank or put it toward purchasing more powerful parts

Tons of upgradability (dependent on your hardware choices)

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

If you want a custom rig, but don't want to build it yourself, a local shop might be able to do it for you.

There are also "boutique" builders sites out there. You pick the base package, then you have the option to customize it to how you would like it, then they build it and ship it to you.

One example: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Chimera_4-E1

Building it yourself isn't that hard. The hard part is figuring out what to buy, since you have to take into account what you are going to be doing with it, if the parts are compatible (with each other and software/OS/drivers), quality, etc.

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

Archived