Second Skin Audio

Need help figuring out odd ball box calculations.

SGT_76

Attached is a quick Sketchup of what I'm attempting to figure out. All the dimensions are the "max" allowable for each part of the box...yes it's for a hatch. Box would be for an Fi SP418 in a daily setup. Tuning around 30-32hz?...but open to suggestions! Been trying to come up with something using Torres but for some reason i cant get the height (1 & 2) figured out? Anything other than a normal "squared" enclosure has been getting the best of me. Not to mention trying to figure out the correct port!

Can anyone shoot me some pointers on calculating odd shape boxes and ports please? I'm trying to learn so I'm not expecting/wanting someone to design it for me, just to help me understand how to do it.

Thanks.

FiSP418_zpsc13ec62d.pngFiSP418_zpsef3e6e9e.jpg

Here's a screen shot from http://www.hometheat.../#axzz2HKePw56t

I just input the dimensions as if it was on its side with the height as the depth and both depths as the heights. This doesn't account for the 3" flat on top of mine of course, but it DOES account for the "wedge" shape. Now their calculator comes out almost identical to my Torres calculation for a sguared box. This just helps to confuse me more...ugh lol.

FiSP418box_zpsdc102c8a.jpg

I use regular math for odd shapes lol for the model you showed I get roughly 7.05cuft gross. That's using inside measurements of the box with a single 3/4" layer of wood. On the ports I can't help, cause I see they would go from small to big and IDK how to calculate that. I would assume you could use the average size of the port no? but I honestly wouldn't know.

'02 SVT Lightning

Pioneer 3200dvd

C&D 80ah under hood, 2 shuriken bt20's in cab

PPI BlackIce 800.4, Rockford T1 6.5comps, kicker KS 5.25comps(Running both active)

AQ 2200d, 2 Skar VVX-10s, 2.5@34hz, Epicenter

did you not take geometry

Thanks for the helpfull reply.... :ughdunno: But to answere your question, yes...many years ago.

I know I can divide the design into three individual shapes (2 rectangles, 1 triangle) and calculate them, then combine for a total gross. What i'm asking is how/if this can be done using Torres as a single shape, since it has input fields for multiple heights and depths? Because when I tried I couldn't get it right for some reason?

Also, Looking for a good way to figure the port. I could try "guessing" at it based off averages of the area taken out by the rear angle, then estimate additional length based off that, but I'd have no idea if I was even close?

Just trying to teach this old dog a new trick.

Let sketchup calculate the area of the side (internal) then multiply with the internal width, that is your internal gross volume, put that in the "desired gross volume" field in Torres, set the dimensions of the port and set the displacements of sub and bracing. Torres will show you the net volume and tuning.

Lol I never even noticed those 2 input fields on the bottom right!...Thanks.

Any ideas on how to figure the port length and width correctly, while accounting for the progressive change in port height (decreasing with length)? Surely there's a way w/o having to just guess over and over??

Wish there was enough room to just put the port on the bottom lol.

Lol I never even noticed those 2 input fields on the bottom right!...Thanks.

Any ideas on how to figure the port length and width correctly, while accounting for the progressive change in port height (decreasing with length)? Surely there's a way w/o having to just guess over and over??

Wish there was enough room to just put the port on the bottom lol.

The cross-sectional area of the port needs to remain constant. No way around.

Archived