Jump to content

Fully Custom Offroad Gearbox Build


Recommended Posts

Posted

This is my senior capstone project that I'm doing along with 3 of my classmates. It is designed for use in our school's baja car (think a glorified, very expensive go-kart). We travel all over the country doing races against other schools so this year we decided to step it up and design/build our own gearbox. We just got it together today and havent had the chance to run it in the car so ill have some more pics of it in the car and maybe some videos later. Let me know what yall think. Thanks.

DB9EB891-788E-4F6C-9579-DB0335AE5B89-8259-000006472D1163AE.jpg

A3A2CBEE-5165-443C-9EFE-051536FFA4A9-8259-00000647216F8719.jpg

Posted

How many gears? I need one for my UTV since the one in it blew out the reverse gear.. I was just going to mate a 5-speed mustang manual to the existing CVT (requires rotating motor 90 degrees) but if you can build those at an affordable price you'd probably be able to sell them to guys like me doing custom repair/replacement of shitty stock hardware.

edit

Change to herringbone gears for more reliability and power handling btw ; )

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Posted

Theres only one forward gear and one reverse gear as the CVT takes care of "switching gears" so to speak. We have two other forward ratios that we can swap in if we feel the need to, depending on the track; one for high torque and one for high speed. We used spur gears due to the fact that many of them had to be custom and we had no means of cutting herringbone gears, nor the funding to have them cut for us. The previous gearbox we had in the car used herringbones, but it also weighed 50+ pounds. It was a stock gearbox from Gravely.

Posted

Ah, darn.

You can change the weights on the CVT to change acceleration characteristics as well, usually takes less than 10 minutes to do a weight change.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Posted

That's a possibility as well. We're running a custom cvt from gauged engineering this year. Having other ratios for the gearbox gives us increased flexibility on top of that

Posted

This is sweet. Are you on another forum or something? I feel like I've seen this before

Posted

This is sweet. Are you on another forum or something? I feel like I've seen this before

I think he actually made a thread a while ago asking about the little breather tube/accordion thing on the top.

It looks great! I'd love to be able to this something like this someday.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

Posted

Not bad at all! Whats the gear ratios?

Posted

This is sweet. Are you on another forum or something? I feel like I've seen this before

I think he actually made a thread a while ago asking about the little breather tube/accordion thing on the top.

It looks great! I'd love to be able to this something like this someday.

You are exactly right sir!

And our ratios are 5.3:1, 5.8:1, and 6.3:1. We were able to get these ratios while maintaining the same center distances between shafts. This saved us a ton of time and money in only needing one set of side plates.

I appreciate the kind words!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2866 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...