Optima Yellow Top hissing from vent. Overcharged?

About two weeks ago I bought a group 34 Optima Yellow Top for my Ram. (I needed a battery right away so having an XS power shipped to me wasn't an option.) So tonight I was out in the garage and I hooked up the battery charger while I worked. Two hours later I unhook the charger as I go inside and I notice the battery is hissing from the vents on the top. Some research tells me that it got overcharged and pretty much boiled the inside? The charger is older but the label says "10 amp deep cycle battery charger" and the Optima website says a maximum of 10 amps from a charger so I "should" have been ok. Right now the battery is sitting at 12.6 volts.

Has this happened to anyone else? I don't understand how a 10 amp charger could roast a battery when my alternator puts out 100. If I let this thing cool down overnight will it be alright? Last thing I want is for my truck to not start tomorrow morning at 6am when I need to leave for work.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Guest DC Power Kyle

You pretty much gassed a lot of the "charge" in the battery into thin air.. that battery may not work in the morning. I wouldn't run it personally.

You pretty much gassed a lot of the "charge" in the battery into thin air.. that battery may not work in the morning. I wouldn't run it personally.

Its only two weeks old so if it craps out I can return it for a new one. Really it just needs to get me to work tomorrow morning!

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Id return it now.. it is crapped out, even tho it holds a charge it may not for long, or be too reliable like Kyle said...

The battery is not as strong as it could be, and if this battery is being used in a trunk or interior anywhere for your stereo you are inhaling toxic gas!!!

I had a NSB90 that was a gasser, it was kinda sorta fine until you either started to put a load on the battery and discharge rapidly or charge it rapidly.. It made me gag from how bad it smelled.

I wouldnt even leave it under the hood in my vehicle, having delt with one first hand.

Just to be sure this isn't the issue: what voltage does your charger charge at?

I'm pretty sure I measured it once at 15.6. Its your average charger so there is no reason for it to be charging at 18 volts or something.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

I'm pretty sure I measured it once at 15.6. Its your average charger so there is no reason for it to be charging at 18 volts or something.

Uhhhhh 15.6v is to high.......

down rpping vanderbilt. 30 miles from victoria. i own the 3rd loudest setup here out of 3. but i did put together all 3 setups

^^ Cant wait to swalllow Ghost's babies

Yeah bro... Unless your batteries are -20 degrees or something, that's charging about a volt too high

Archived