2002 Intrepid Beginner System

Baby steps, main thing is you keep improving and the wire is a good step in the right direction. How did you connect it? Crimp? Solder? Also that port looks tiny for that 15. I am using a 6" precision port for my 15 and it still could use more port.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

hey its not bad man you have to start somewhere lol. That year intrepid can be a really cool car with some love, keep improving it'll get there.

Baby steps, main thing is you keep improving and the wire is a good step in the right direction. How did you connect it? Crimp? Solder? Also that port looks tiny for that 15. I am using a 6" precision port for my 15 and it still could use more port.

Yea I soldered it. I actually had to shave the wire smaller at the amp end because the 12+ input is for about 10 gauge wire lol :P Also, I have yet to get a fuse block to put on the front end of the wire, that's next. I know it's dangerous to run without a fuse block but I've had no problems yet. I do intend to get one though!

As for the port, I was sure it wasn't enough when I did this, but as mentioned before I just threw this box together with stuff I had laying around. The port is a 4" because 4" PVC was the biggest I had at the time. And also as I mentioned, the box was originally a sealed box for 2 12s that I got dumped on me by a friend. This and my wanting to use the sub as soon as I could led to the creation of this Frankenstein's Monster of a box :P Once I get time and money I'll buy some MDF and build a box specifically for this sub!

hey its not bad man you have to start somewhere lol. That year intrepid can be a really cool car with some love, keep improving it'll get there.

Thanks, and yea it's pretty nice! Tons of trunk space for plenty of equipment, just need stuff to fill it with lol! :D

Also, I totaled up my system's worth vs. what I payed for it in my first post, and I did my whole system for under $100, pretty interesting :)

Thanks for your interest in my setup guys!! ^_^

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Heros get remembered, but legends never die.

• 3 months later...

Time for a LONG overdue update!!

As you guys may or may not remember, Christmas has come and gone. Now, only a little more than 2 months late due to college, best friend leaving for the Navy, etc., I'm finally uploading pics of the sound system redo that we put together the night of December 25th. This rebuild should have only taken up to a half hour, but it took almost 3 hours. But here it is!

Here's the box I got for Christmas. My younger brother and our grandpa who was a carpenter put this together for me based off of some designs I had laying around for the longest time. They didn't get any pics of the box being built, but I'm more curious to know what my grandpa was thinking when he was building this. Probably something along the lines of why I would need a 15 inch speaker box lol.
9q3t.jpg

So first we tried just sticking it in the car hoping it would fit easily. Of course it's never that easy. Because of this, I honestly think we are the first people to successfully remove a back seat from a 1999-2004 Intrepid without cutting, bending, etc. and still being able to put the seat back in when we're done. All the other tips I found on Youtube/Google/etc. involved mutilation of some kind, which I didn't want to do. So guess and check worked nicely and here's the result:

muvg.jpg

(back rest part)

p0a9.jpg

(seat part, on top of my brother's car since the floor was nasty)

l46y.jpg

eb0m.jpg

(I love how much trunk space this car has!!)

4hop.jpg

So after taking the seat out, we tried fitting the box in the car. Still didn't fit. So we had to round the top corners off so that they would fit around the rear deck where the seat mounts. After we did that, we made a smart move realizing that the box would be a pain to remove once we got it in, and we painted the box. The original plan was to carpet the box, but that was before we realized how tight of a fit and how difficult of a process it would be to fit/remove the box. Anyway:

gx24.jpgs680.jpg

After painting the box, we finally got it to fit it in the car (with no vertical room to spare, we needed a pry bar to lift up the rear deck while we slid the box in). We put the seat back in and mounted the amp / hooked it up. Here's the final result.

What I started with when I got my 15:

0506131618.jpg

What I have now:

lu81.jpg

:D :D

So all I really need to do yet is find a way to hide the wiring on the amp, extend the RCAs about an inch so they don't go over the corner of the amp anymore (see next pic), and find a blade-style fuse block for my power wire since I've never had one. But it finally looks like a professional system!! :OhYeah:

mauw.jpg

(lookit dat ugly @$$ wiring!)

tdci.jpg

All in all I'm very happy with where it is now. I'm excited to see where this build might go from here, but I'm more than happy with where it is now :nuts: . Thanks to all of you for your inspiration and support which helped me to get here!

Thanks for looking!!

:bananaDance:

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Is it sub forward port rear? Interesting, now save up for a real amp! Looking clean.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Thanks :D Yea, it's sub forward ports back. Honestly I probably would have put the amp on the back of the box between the ports or on top of the box, but the box is such a tight fit that the wiring wouldn't have fit around it. Half of the wires aren't long enough for that anyway, namely the RCAs. I'll have to look for a way to clean it up some how... maybe put carpet over the ends of the amp or something... any ideas?

needbasssig.gif
My Build Log

j84l.jpg

Make sure you have good grounds, and the amp ground should be less than 18 inches if possible, the shorter the better. on the ground spot, make sure to sand all the way to the metal, through the grey primer for best connection, for free. Self tapping screws work as long as the connection is tight.

Perhaps you could cut some of the foam padding under the rear seat and mount the amp there, just an idea, BUT BE CAREFUL! The fuel tank is typically under the rear seats sheet metal, so don't go ramming a drill thru it. maybe three stacked layers of double sided tape to hold the amp down.

I fit a fairly large 4 channel amp under the driver seat in my car, perhaps you can hide the whole amp under the passenger seat or driver seat.

Nice green wire BTW it looks nice. Tuned in, perhaps you could post a video of how it sounds.

The Scosche HDs put out a lot if you amplify them. Any small Rockford amp will make them nice and punchy, I find little RF Primes at the pawnshops all the time, people don't know how to get the most out of them, or think they suck. They just don't know. Even primes put out rated power or more. So if it works, pick it up and wire it up as best you can. My first amp was a RF Prime 500.1, I wish I never sold it, it outperformed the next two amps I bought by a long shot.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

Gotta love startin small and working with what you have! What was so difficult about those seats? They just have 4 (15mm ?iirc) bolts right? after you pull the "seat" part out right? We sorta have the same car. so that area looked a bit familiar lol.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived