Second Skin Audio

Single or Dual Chamber ported box - which is louder?

momofx76

Is it true that a single chamber ported box will be noticably louder than a dual chamber with the same two subs and both tuned to the same frequency??

The separate chambers box will be bigger due to the ports needing to be longer in smaller airspace, arguably longer ports may have less efficiency, there should not be big differences between them but many users have liked better the results with single chamber boxes. If the subs are in separate non strappable amplifiers you will need to gain match which need to be done right.

Ports should not have to be longer, since each port will only need half as much port area as a single enclosure.

It will be just a little large with the added port walls.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Ports should not have to be longer, since each port will only need half as much port area as a single enclosure.

It will be just a little large with the added port walls.

Right there wouldn't be a point not halving the original port area to each chamber. Fixed above.

Ugh...

All else being equal, single chamber over separate chambers. Brace well. Less wall to volume ratio means less friction losses (louder) and this goes double for ports. One large port over more smaller ports. /thread

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

At least one 6" aero for each 15" you have, I would also only cut two big circles in the divider to allow airflow but keep strong enough to act as bracing, if not then place a wooden dowel rod or two.

I plotted this box in Winisd and with a tuning frequency of around 35Hz seems like I can get away with two 4" diameter x 5" long ports OR two 5" dia x 8.9" OR two 6" dia x 13.8" ports...

Before I go buy some 4" ports since they are cheaper, I have to ask - is there an SPL difference between these ports although the frequency is the same?

ie. Will I get a little more spl with the 6" dia ports compared to the 4" ? I ask because I have always seen guys at comps with huge ports even with one 15" sub... that got me wondering lol.

Just need a good amount of port area for a 15 thats why they run 6inchers

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

At least one 6" aero for each 15" you have, I would also only cut two big circles in the divider to allow airflow but keep strong enough to act as bracing, if not then place a wooden dowel rod or two.

I plotted this box in Winisd and with a tuning frequency of around 35Hz seems like I can get away with two 4" diameter x 5" long ports OR two 5" dia x 8.9" OR two 6" dia x 13.8" ports...

Before I go buy some 4" ports since they are cheaper, I have to ask - is there an SPL difference between these ports although the frequency is the same?

ie. Will I get a little more spl with the 6" dia ports compared to the 4" ? I ask because I have always seen guys at comps with huge ports even with one 15" sub... that got me wondering lol.

You can use one 6" port per 15" sub or at least two 4" ports per 15" better the 6"s.Yes definitely there will be a performance advantage as you increase power.

Archived