Second Skin Audio

Single or Dual Chamber ported box - which is louder?

momofx76

I've been told its more efficient and you get a little better numbers. I'm sure an expert will chime in

1997 Trans Am WS6

Pioneer DEH-P5200HD

2 DC Level 4 M2 12s

4 cubes tuned to about 34hz

DC 3.5k

1/0 Welding Supply Ultra Flex

Stock 140A alt

Stinger Fuses & Fuse Holders

XS Power D5100

XS Power XP3000

After reading up more, seems like the only major downfall of a single chamber is if one sub blew, it could damage the other sub and also both have to be on the same amp ie. mono.

Otherwise I would like to know if there really is more output in spl from a single chamber design with a common port...

After reading up more, seems like the only major downfall of a single chamber is if one sub blew, it could damage the other sub and also both have to be on the same amp ie. mono.

Otherwise I would like to know if there really is more output in spl from a single chamber design with a common port...

they dont have to be on the same amp but from what ive been told it is better if they are on the same amp. dont know why thats just what i am told. look at all these wall builds with 2,3,4 or more amps powering 4+subs. they are in a single chamber on multiple amps.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Is it true that a single chamber ported box will be noticably louder than a dual chamber with the same two subs and both tuned to the same frequency??

The separate chambers box will slightly bigger due to the the extra walls displacement, there should not be big differences between them but many users have liked better the results with single chamber boxes. If the subs are in separate non strappable amplifiers you will need to gain match which need to be done right.

With pairs of subs i will generally make a common chamber and use 2 round ports between the subs to trick them to acting as if each are in the own enclosure but yet share the same volume of a single enclosure, now whether or not it is louder than subs in their own enclosure, or share a common enclosure is really enclosure dependent and quality of the build.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

louder in spl?

or louder to ear?

Louder in spl. I have spent quite a bit looking this up and seems like many people say that a single chamber design has the same gain has having a box thats about 1/3 BIGGER... considering my box can be a bit bigger for my XLF1544's I am wondering if maybe I should cut the divider/partition out??? My only issue is that if I used a router or a jigsaw, there will be like 2 inches of the divider left all round. I dont know what affect that would have as well....

louder in spl?

or louder to ear?

Louder in spl. I have spent quite a bit looking this up and seems like many people say that a single chamber design has the same gain has having a box thats about 1/3 BIGGER... considering my box can be a bit bigger for my XLF1544's I am wondering if maybe I should cut the divider/partition out??? My only issue is that if I used a router or a jigsaw, there will be like 2 inches of the divider left all round. I dont know what affect that would have as well....

That won't have any effect.

act as bracing maybe, help hold the box strong.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Archived