Speaker next to metal

DubNDodge

I was thinking today, does having a speakers magnet on/near sheet metal, or any metal for that matter, affect anything? Like will it reduce the magnets power over time, or reduce the sound output? I started working on mounting my 6.5s and tweets in the door today and the magnets are both basically touching the metal. If I need to I can trim the metal back.

This could be a stupid question but I have been curious.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Hmm, not sure, I never thought of that.

in4 an answer lol....

Yeah, I don't think there would be a huge effect because everyone mounts them near metal. But in my case, the magnet will be less than a mm away.

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

From answers.com:

"To increase the strength of a magnet you need to stack it between two
stronger magnets or electromagnets. To weaken it, you'd have to heat it
up, or use the same method as when strengthening, only this time you
should flip the magnet so it would repel the stronger (electro)magnets."

Interesting....It's just about magnets in general so...Can anyone help out DubinDodge?

97 Suburban

8 custom PSI Platform 3 18's

is the metal steel or aluminum?

Aluminum i would think would be unaffected, but steel would alter the direction of the magnetic waves (keeping them closer to the magnet and possibly strengthening). considering its a speaker though and the coil is in a different area of the magnet i would think it shouldnt matter but i could be wrong.

2006 Silverado Ext. Cab

6-15" SSA ZCONS

4th Order Blow-Through

Pioneer AVH-P4200dvd

American Bass VFL 1100.1 12 volt

6 C&D Batteries

2-350A Singer Alternators and Stock Alt

DC Power Triple Alt Kit

MLA Module

3 Runs of 1/0

2 Sets of Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pro Components

Boston Acoustics 2-channel

Lots of Sound Deadener

....Build still in Progress...

It's a door panel, and my car is nothing special, so I'd assume it is steel.

Wont do anything to worry about, just put a piece of foam or rubber on the back and glue it in place so it doesnt vibrate.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Wont do anything to worry about, just put a piece of foam or rubber on the back and glue it in place so it doesnt vibrate.

That's what I assumed. But I didn't know if it had any long term affects.

Only reason I ask is because I saw a company (sundown I believe) making a new sub. They had mentioned something about not having a machine strong enough to charge(?) the magnets or something. So I figured that if the magnets had to be charged or whatever then over time that they could loose that.

Edit: As if the metal would be like a parasitic draw or something.

Archived