Second Skin Audio

Underpowering 2 Subs

Cboeger

Bass Boost should be relabeled the "Distortion Knob"... :aggressive:

Don't use it.

Once you've set your gains on a system with flat settings then "boosting" above that at certain frequency will increase your signal level past your voltage rails and clip the signal.

You're equipment has internal output voltage limits which you want to tune right to the top of.

Bass boost increases your signal on top of that and causes clipping at a certain band of frequency's.

If you're tuned correctly then you shouldn't even need it.

EDIT: Your subs have nothing to do with adjusting your gains. underpowering/overpowering...you're adjusting the output of the amp for a clean signal, that's all.

Over-driving your signal is what causes damage and is where the "underpowering" rumor started. People pushing their equipment past its limits.

So I'm not suppose to use bass boost just on the amp, but I can use the bass boost on my head unit, correct? Because on my head unit i have bass level 0-8 and bass boost 1-3 and also my Head unit also has a subwoofer level, whats a reasonable level I should put that at or does it all depend on the car setup, etc?

I Googeld a little bit over the sub, and found http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-spl-forum/74147-mb-quart-rwe-302-$59-ebay-sub.html this. The sub had a price in 2007

of 59 $, on your side i would offer your cousin 200 $ for the setup, otherwise he will ripp you a little bit off.

If you want realy fun for 3++ $ get you a pair of Sundown E series subs or Skar IVX sub´s and a near 1 K RMS watt amp.

Secondly if you underpowering sub´s you have to build a bigger box than threw the spec´s, to control the sub.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

but there is a difference between sub level and bass boost sub level increases the voltage in the rca lines and remember there is always too much of a good thing i say 9/15 on sub level

bass boost causes distortion so turn it off both head unit and amp!

keep gain below half not even maybe 2/5

our headunit has 2.5v rca out

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

I Googeld a little bit over the sub, and found http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-spl-forum/74147-mb-quart-rwe-302-$59-ebay-sub.html this. The sub had a price in 2007

of 59 $, on your side i would offer your cousin 200 $ for the setup, otherwise he will ripp you a little bit off.

If you want realy fun for 3++ $ get you a pair of Sundown E series subs or Skar IVX sub´s and a near 1 K RMS watt amp.

Secondly if you underpowering sub´s you have to build a bigger box than threw the spec´s, to control the sub.

My cousin is selling me the amp 2 subs and also a box and giving me the wires he isnt just selling me an amp and 2 subs. Also he had these professionally installed back when he had his other car so it should be the right box and hopefully its still tuned correctly and everything. Also when these subs were made Rocksford owned the company or some sort along those lines and they were the discus series.

Don't use it.

Once you've set your gains on a system with flat settings then "boosting" above that at certain frequency will increase your signal level past your voltage rails and clip the signal.

You're equipment has internal output voltage limits which you want to tune right to the top of.

Bass boost increases your signal on top of that and causes clipping at a certain band of frequency's.

EDIT: Your subs have nothing to do with adjusting your gains. underpowering/overpowering...you're adjusting the output of the amp for a clean signal, that's all.

Over-driving your signal is what causes damage and is where the "underpowering" rumor started. People pushing their equipment past its limits.

So I'm not suppose to use bass boost just on the amp, but I can use the bass boost on my head unit, correct? Because on my head unit i have bass level 0-8 and bass boost 1-3 and also my Head unit also has a subwoofer level, whats a reasonable level I should put that at or does it all depend on the car setup, etc?

Like what was mentioned many times above....Never use bass boost...ever....on anything!

Bass (subwoofer) level and bass boost are two completely different things.

Subwoofer level adjusts the output voltage on the Subwoofer RCA preouts (ALL frequencies in that band).

Bass boost increases the voltage at a certain specific frequency only.

You need to do some research or testing to find out what your default output level is for the Subwoofer Level. Some companies use 0, some use the max setting.

Find that default and set your gains to it.

Again, no bass boost at all.

Once you've adjusted your system with flat settings, if you then use bass boost then you're potentially raising your voltage level at that certain frequency which very well could clip your signal going to the amp.

Many people do this and damage/blame their equipment. Like I said this is where the "underpowering" rumor started.

Adjust your settings "flat".

Leave bass boost alone.

Once you're experienced with your system and understand exactly where all your signals are, and have the correct test equipment...then you can play with fine tuning those boost/cut settings.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Don't use it.

Like what was mentioned many times above....Never use bass boost...ever....on anything!

Subwoofer level adjusts the output voltage on the Subwoofer RCA preouts (ALL frequencies in that band).

You need to do some research or testing to find out what your default output level is for the Subwoofer Level. Some companies use 0, some use the max setting.

Once you've adjusted your system with flat settings, if you then use bass boost then you're potentially raising your voltage level at that certain frequency which very well could clip your signal going to the amp.

Many people do this and damage/blame their equipment. Like I said this is where the "underpowering" rumor started.

Leave bass boost alone.

Once you're experienced with your system and understand exactly where all your signals are, and have the correct test equipment...then you can play with fine tuning those boost/cut settings.

Except that you should NEVER boost a signal, only cut.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Don't use it.

Leave bass boost alone.

I'm assuming the person has an RTA and most likely an o-scope.

"If" any signal is boosted then the whole spectrum is analyzed to make sure you're not clipping but I see your point.

Better to cut the whole system to get a flat response and give yourself some headroom rather than boost and risk any possibility of clipping.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Don't use it.

Leave bass boost alone.

I'm assuming the person has an RTA and most likely an o-scope.

"If" any signal is boosted then the whole spectrum is analyzed to make sure you're not clipping but I see your point.

Better to cut the whole system to get a flat response and give yourself some headroom rather than boost and risk any possibility of clipping.

is that why its better to overpower subs so you can use bass boost and bass level?

bass boost is useless 99% of the time. in very solemn cases is it actually beneficial.

answer me this, cboeger. if you have X amp outputting 100% of its designed clean rated power using just the gain knob, then why would you want to use bass boost to boost the signal up more? you're just going to do nothing but clip if you move that boost knob even a millimeter up.

edit: regardless if the amp is making 50% of its power (1000w amp on a 500w sub), why would you want to use bass boost to boost one exact frequency, and leave the rest normal? that is so stupid.

I'll add that you can clip the output all you want as long as you do not go over the subs maximum power handling. . .

The actual clipping does not hurt the speaker - the additional average power of a clipped sine wave is what hurts the speaker. A square wave has an average power closer to the peak power

People are going to disagree, but it has been tested many times.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Archived