Second Skin Audio

let's talk about warm woofers

knubs

its not htat high if you listen to normal music. Its actually waht alot of people would recommend as a good daily tuning. Your mistake is trying to slam the low lows in the modded music.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I agree with N8 35 Hz is a great daily tune. I think his wall is tuned at like 36. Unless you have a monster cabin, like a Tahoe,Suburban, or something for a crazy SQ setup, I love 35 Hz for a regular old ported box.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

37 actually. but i dont need to play under tunign to move a shit ton of air. thats what power and cone area is for.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

its not htat high if you listen to normal music. Its actually waht alot of people would recommend as a good daily tuning. Your mistake is trying to slam the low lows in the modded music.

that's the problem, i listen to everything. sometimes i want some rock, and sometimes i listen to rap/decaf/low dubstep. when i listen to the low stuff i want an earthquake! lol

i've been thinking about porting my sub into the cabin from the trunk and adding a changable external port extension. looks like this is what i should do. then when im on a couple week long earthquake binge i can go low, and then for higher stuff just take off the external port extender off and raise my tuning and keep the box volume. what do you guys think about that?

Can anyone explain how playing below tuning causes the voice coil to heat up? The coil shouldn't be rubbing on the inside of the magnet, so increased friction from the increased cone movement obviously is not the issue.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz

If it makes you happy, go for it :)

That sub will take a lot of abuse Im sure, so unless the dust cap is HOT or you're smelling coil, let er rip. Interchangeable ports are a nice idea though. Unless you're Mid-drive and get the urge for the other type of music all of a sudden.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Can anyone explain how playing below tuning causes the voice coil to heat up? The coil shouldn't be rubbing on the inside of the magnet, so increased friction from the increased cone movement obviously is not the issue.

The suspension of the speaker keeps the cone in a nice linear and smooth motion (ideally anyway). When you play below tuning you are exceeding the limits of the suspension and you lose that nice linear and smooth motion. When you lose that, you also lower the ability of the motor/voice coil to cool itself.

I think that is what happens anyway...

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

if i smell coil once or twice for a second trying to figure out the limits of my system how bad is that really? will it damage the sub pushing it that far once or twice? and when everyone talks about smelling the coil, how strong do you smell it when you smell it? is it like sticking your head in the port and barely thinking you smell something, or is it just sniffing and being to the point where you are like "yeah, that's definitely coil!"

also, can you not push a sub as hard when it is hot out? i would imagine a coil would heat up a lot easier on a 100 degree day.

If it makes you happy, go for it :)

That sub will take a lot of abuse Im sure, so unless the dust cap is HOT or you're smelling coil, let er rip. Interchangeable ports are a nice idea though. Unless you're Mid-drive and get the urge for the other type of music all of a sudden.

i go on genre binges for like a week or so at a time so that shouldn't be too bad.

it looks like im going to modify my back seats to fold down so i can have a port sticking through. then i could have the box tuned to 38hz and when i want lows i could fold down the middle section of the back seats and bolt on another 13 inches of external port on to bring it to 30hz.

that would help me a lot for db drag to. i wasn't completely satisfied hitting a 137 (even though i could have burped it a lot harder now that i think about it....). a 38hz tuning with folding back seats would probably help me quite a bit.

Archived