Is 4/0 too much?

4/0 is not too much. Honestly: anything electrical related is not too much

But, running 1 or 2 larger wires might be more difficult than 3 or 4 smaller wires. Just because of flexibility and... Well.... The size

I will ask this: What size alt do you have? 1 run of 4/0 is Almost equivalent to 2 runs of car audio 1/0 (which sizes up to be 2/0 according to the AWG chart)

Do you how how many/what gauge the strands are?

I ask because AWG doesn't convert into stranded wire. You need to take the gauge of the strands they use, then multiply the cross-sectional area of those strands by how many their are. Basically finding the total cross sectional area of the copper. You can't measure it normally because the air space between the strands will give you a false reading

For example:

Knu Kolossus 1/0 is spec'd at 5145 strands of 36 gauge

Looking at this table 36ga has an area of 0.0127mm2

Multiply that by 5145 and the total cross-sectional area of the cable is 65.3mm2

Looking at the same chart, that puts it roughly equivalent to 2/0, which is 67.4mm2

You can also use this to figure out what will give you the most copper dollar for dollar when you are buying cable ;)

Oh, and that same chart I linked lists the ampacity for the wire too. It's on the conservative side, but that's a good thing, since how much power a wire can carry and still have an acceptable level of voltage drop depends on it's length

Not at all.

Doesn't iceman pinder use 4/0 in his van with the 6 15's?

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

Archived