I have a 99 ram sport and I want to run some 10k HID bulbs in both the headlights and the fog lights. Now I have 2 sets of HIDs from before from my Lincoln LS but the bulb numbers are different, can I use the same ballasts and just get new bulbs? Thanks for the help guys. And if somebody could tell me what bulbs fit my truck or give me the link to a lookup guide it would be much appreciated. Thanks

because different cars have different socket types for the bulbs themselves. i have a set of DDM tuning ballasts that i'm going to use with a set of morimoto bulbs. the bulb plugs fit the ballasts, but the bulb socket type is specific to my truck (among others as well)

HID bulbs and ballasts are NOT interchangeable with different connections. They have different bulb sockets on the stock harness, different sockets that screw/hold but bulb in place. The only thing that seems to be somewhat universal is the connection that comes off the HID bulb and the connection that comes off the ballast that you use to connect the bulb to the ballast but other than that you need to make sure you have the correct bulb size to put it in the headlamp housing you are using and the correct harness connection (unless you tap the stock wire and use a relay in that case it doesnt matter) to turn on the relays/ballasts.

Most of the time if you stick with the same brand/year car/truck then you will not necessarily need to change bulb sizes and socket types. Like for example most GM cars use a 9005/9006 for low and high beam sockets and tend to have the same stock harness that plugs into the stock bulb itself. Don't believe me, go to here https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx and look up some different make and model cars to see their bulb sizes and you will see that some are different numbers.

edit: OP, I would need to know if you used a relay kit with your HID's or not to be able to answer your question. If you do have a relay kit for the ballasts then all you would need to do is get a new HID bulb that is the same brand/company and plug that into your ballasts you transferred from your truck. The only problem you may run into is like what I mentioned before where the harness that plugs into the stock Halogen bulbs is of a different size you would need to either buy an adapter (wouldn't bother with that) or just cut/solder or tap into the stock wiring for the bulb and hook it up to the turn on wire for your relays and it will be just fine. I really think that for you, all you'd need to do is this:

1.) Get the bulb that fits your dodge.

2.) Take the ballasts from your Lincoln and see if the stock harness connection plugs into the ballast turn on/power connection. If it does not then do this:

• Take the relay kit you have and splice the wires off a little bit
  • Take the stock socket that goes to the Halogen bulb and splice the wire (if your relay has grounds for each individual output then you don't need to splice the ground wire off the stock harness, only the +12v wire on the harness)
  • Look at the ballast, most good ballasts indicate which connection is + and -
  • When you know which lead is + and - for where it plugs into the ballast find out which wire on the stock harness is positive/negative
  • Once you know which lead/wire is positive and negative connect and solder the wires together (positive to positive, negative to negative)

3.) Screw in your newly purchased HID bulbs into the headlight housing and connect them to your ballasts

4.) Plug in the relay outputs to the ballasts input ***Make sure you have a fuse of 25-30 amps for your relay so if you wired it up wrong it will blow the fuse and not your equipment***

5.) Connect the relay to your battery and test.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

because different cars have different socket types for the bulbs themselves. i have a set of DDM tuning ballasts that i'm going to use with a set of morimoto bulbs. the bulb plugs fit the ballasts, but the bulb socket type is specific to my truck (among others as well)

how good are the ddm hids would you recommend

as far as I knoe if they are aftermarket HID's you can fit any bulb to any ballast. without a single problem.

if they are OEM thats another story.

smdban.jpg

audio related merchandise (decals,banners,lanyards,hats,shirt,etc)

Archived