help with a burp tone

Hello im a little new and have learned alot on this site but i cant seem to find this answer anywhere.

When i tuned my system i tuned it with a -5db tone (because i listen to decaf and chopped music) and was wondering if i should use -5db tones for burping? or would it be safe to use say a -3db tone due to the short length of the burp?

Build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166486-alexs-02-intrepid-budget-build/

2 12" SKAR Audio VVXv2 d4 @ 1ohm

vvme qa-d1500

Pioneer Head unit deh-8400bh

2 Kenwood KFC-1693PS 3-Way 6.5"

2 stock sail speakers/tweeters (Infinity premium stock)

Polk Audio DB351 3.5" (upgraded from a factory 2.75" speaker or something weird like that dremeled to fit)

2 Sony Xplod XS-R6944 6" x 9" 4-Way's

Well, with a -3 you would not be clipping your subs, so if you use a -5 you should be still unclipped. Keyword: Should be. But you have factors also.

I think if you use a -3 you should be okay, if you use a -9, you would be clipping...If anyone else would chime in that would be great.

*06 330i - Sundern x12 - saz-3500*

*91 Foxbody V1 S-Trim Notch*

Well, with a -3 you would not be clipping your subs, so if you use a -5 you should be still unclipped. Keyword: Should be. But you have factors also.

I think if you use a -3 you should be okay, if you use a -9, you would be clipping...If anyone else would chime in that would be great.

What do you mean here?

Alex, you could probably even use a 0db track for burp.

For info, a slight clip can increase score, clip to hard and you might decrease score while still making everything run hotter. Might be system dependant though.

That's what I've gathered.

You might just have to try for yourself.

What do you mean here?

Alex, you could probably even use a 0db track for burp.

For info, a slight clip can increase score, clip to hard and you might decrease score while still making everything run hotter. Might be system dependant though.

That's what I've gathered.

You might just have to try for yourself.

ok thank you guys very much. i should be getting an oscope soon. so i will do some tests and see what works best for me.

I was just curious what others would do in a similar situation

Build log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166486-alexs-02-intrepid-budget-build/

vvme qa-d1500

Polk Audio DB351 3.5" (upgraded from a factory 2.75" speaker or something weird like that dremeled to fit)

Do you have a TermLab to play with as well?

no i dont i really wish i did but they are out of my price range and i havent found anyone in cincinnati with one

Build log

vvme qa-d1500

no i dont i really wish i did but they are out of my price range and i havent found anyone in cincinnati with one
This is your biggest hurtle unless you know your freq already then I would suggest -3. Remember a test tone is not the same as music. You can clip your test tone since it doesn't vary, 1-2 sec of course

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander
Sony 712

Soundqubed HDS208

Alpine MRV-M500

Transmission line enclosure

Soundqubed wiring

Knu rca

XS Power battery

CNF terminals

This is your biggest hurtle unless you know your freq already then I would suggest -3. Remember a test tone is not the same as music. You can clip your test tone since it doesn't vary, 1-2 sec of course

Yeah thats what i figured so ill stick to -5 and play it by ear and a possible -3 (if only for a couple seconds) when i get an oscope .

i plan on going to a competition in the next couple months to see what kind of numbers i can put up from the trunk

Build log

vvme qa-d1500

Archived