Second Skin Audio

Rattling noise when I tap on the sub cone ???

momofx76

I have an American Bass HD15D2 and recently I started to hear a wierd rattling noise at low to mid volumes. When I tap on the sub cone I can still hear this noise but if I push down on it (to check for coil rub) there is no noise and the funny thing is the sub plays just like new and is still as loud as it was before the rattling...

What do you guys think is the issue with this sub? BTW The other HD15D2 did not do this...

Loose dustcap?
What happens if you push down slightly on the dustcap with one hand, and tap in the manner you were describing with the other?

Yes I took the sub out and even took the dust caps out - still rattling noise but nothing looks damaged - the coils dont look burnt and neither of the spiders are ripped anywhere. ONLY when I tap on anywhere on the cone it makes this wierd rattling noise and if I play it at low to med. volume. Very wierd...

What happens if you put your hands underneath the cone and push it up? Can you see the the spider lifting up anywhere?

No it does not lift up at all (unusually that is) on either the top or lower spider. I used a bright flashlight to verify this as well :) No sign of damage at all! It even plays at exactly the same loudness / spl at high volume. Its just at low and medium, the thing sounds like its blown to hell lol.

yea check the spiders carefully maybe they got dmg somehow.. and did you just install the sub or it was good before and the sound just started?

sometimes Loud is NOT pretty

Sounds like its safe to go ahead and bend that ass over.

Archived