Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

DD 1512a break in period


Recommended Posts

Posted
I was just wondering how long it should take to break in a pair of DD1512's? I been beating on them pretty good with 1000 watts yet the suspension seems pretty stiff still. These ones do have the Xtra stiff spider option. I was wondering if I should free air them for a while if that would help. They just seem really peaky in the box I have right now. Sound good on Dub step, Hip Hop and R&B but on Hawaiian Music it just don't sound right too peaky I guess.

This is my current box outside dim - W 36 x D 17.25 x H 15.75

Vent - 4.25 x 14.25 x 24

3.4 cu tune to 36hz and I don't have any more room to build a much bigger one than that and fit it in my trunk.
Thanks for any input.


2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

 

 

Posted

prolly should just go with 1 12. but just keep playing them normal. they will eventuall ybreak in

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Posted

That's what I have being going back and forth with building a new box for a single 1512 and running it at 1 ohm or 4 ohm. I have the Dual 2ohm vc.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

 

 

Posted

Those subs have fairly stiff suspension anyway. Unless you are pushing xmech or something like I do, no need for a break in period. Just play them like normal and the action of playing them will break them in. If you are like me, then just take it easy on the volume knob and turn it up a little bit more after each song. They will be loose enough after a drive or 2

Posted

Its been a few months well past normal break in I'm used to maybe I just need put bass ballin and some wobbles on repeat and play it for an few hours haha

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

 

 

Posted

Dude if it's been a few months it should be broken in. You did opt for the stiff spider pack on a sub that already has stiff suspension in the first place lol.

I only let my stuff "break in" to knock off the initial stiffness. You know... Since new spiders are like moving concrete lol. Then I just play them like normal. Like dis

15zak_zpsbd1f4533.gif

Posted

Not so much that I wanted X Stiff suspension but I got a really good deal on them. 159 new so I couldn't pass that up.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

 

 

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted

After taking some time to tune my system at near full tilt I realized the gain was set to low on the amp and the PEQ was set too high so it was only boosting centered around 45hz once I flattened that out the lows play nicely. I do have to dial it back slightly on certain songs but the peak is not nearly as bad.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

 

 

Posted

Its a dd you arent going to gwt ridiculous travel out of them keep that in mind

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Posted

Thanks Nate I realize they are not the best for daily use and geared more to SPL but through a fair bit of tuning they sound pretty good to me. Stiff suspension really helps with fast beats but I am sure with a softer suspension on a sub geared more to daily use it would sound better on music.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

 

 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 728 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...