Sonic Electronix

I wouldn't be TOO worried on dimming. A .1 volt drop will dim your lights enough for you to notice. If you are dropping into the 11's, that's when you will start having issues. If you know you aren't dropping terribly low, a solution to stop dimming is HID headlights.

A start if you want a good system, plus some good headroom for future upgrades, look into some 1/0 wire. There are some good brands out there, but the two brands that come into my head that are priced fairly well are Knu konceptz and sky high car audio.

If you don't know a whole lot about car audio yet, search around on the forums a bit and figure out what you would want to get. Learn the Do's and Don'ts.

A good start to figuring out your system, is measure out your trunk and see how much space you are willing to give up. Once you have those dimensions, figure out what subs will best fit into that volume. Don't go and try to cram 2 15's into 3cu ft. Larger diameter subs squeezed into a small box will not be as loud or good sounding as smaller diameter subs in the correct volume.

Some brands to look at for subs/amps are: DC Audio, Sundown Audio, Soundqubed, Obsidian, Fi Audio, Ascendant Audio, Digital Designs, Skar

Just remember, you almost always get what you pay when it comes to car audio.

Edit: Nevermind..

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

SIR YOU JUST FOUND ONE OF THE BEST PLACE TO LEARN . Welcome to the forum man. Read and read some more it all here thank to SMD and for his love for car audio. There's a lot of smart people here that will give you help hands down. And there's the smarts asses that just have to turn the other way. Best of luck on your system.

First of all, get rid of the sony xplods and get some decent subs. also for the electrical, a better battery or alt under the hood should help with the dimming.

-Brendan

Thanks. The sony xplod's are from when my dad had a system, and as you can see from the post I want to upgrade lol. The old Gravity subs were nice, but something wasn't working right with the speakers on various amps and we decided to stash them away in the back of the garage.

lol i would recommend 2 skar audio vvx 12's if you want to stay with 2 12's and a skar audio sk-1500 for the amp and as tdsa23 siad the big 3 upgrade would also help with the dimming

chill out, let him get some ground under his feet on the forum before you start throwing equipment down his throat.

welcome btw.

since you have dimming lights and voltage drop (why the lights are dimming), the first and foremost upgrade would be the big 3 and a better AGM starter battery which should help with reserve and amperage draw.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

So... at the moment I think I want to get a better battery. My current battery is fairly old, and I'd like to get rid of dimming as much as possible. Would anybody recommend for/against this?

Looking into batteries... I saw XS Power under SMD partners. Yay or nay? If so, what battery would fit my Saturn 2001 l200? :/ Do I just need to measure my current battery to figure it out?

I appreciate the help guys, it's good to learn more as I slowly plan out a build for later this summer. That is, unless I put a down payment on a new car first (my car only gets 17 mpg! It sucks ass) :domodance:

Welcome to the forums man! prepare to spend a lot more money than you planned, and do crazy shit to reach your goals!

^^^^this!!! cannot elaborate enough on how creative this guy is! when he says "crazy shit" that means throw a wine barrel in your car! Anyways welcome to the forum! the best advice i can give you is be open to any and all suggestions if not you will be greatly appreciated at ghost customs! (its an inside joke you will hear quite a bit lol)

[sharedmedia=garage:vehicles:2223]

CAFForumSig_zps376518ed.jpg?t=1364077982

SD, thank for the input. I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Welcome to the forum.

And only 17mpg isnt too bad. My last car got about 30 mpg city or highway. My Jeep gets 10.5mpg (calculated) in town or maybe 14 (not calculated) on the highway if its not windy lol.

Be prepared to spend more than expected like someone already said, it happens to all of us at some point.

Archived