From_the_Valley Posted May 8, 2013 Report Posted May 8, 2013 Going off of what I've seen around here, ported is much louder, where as sealed is not as loud, but is better for sound quality because it provides "tighter" bass and a flatter response. I'll let the people who actually know what they're doing chime in though.
skittlesRgood Posted May 8, 2013 Report Posted May 8, 2013 As a general description: ported is much louder. people argue this but sealed sounds better. If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
andy. Posted May 8, 2013 Report Posted May 8, 2013 Just went thru this in my GMC ext cab. Two JL 10w6v3 sealed sounded decent, very tight and played all music very accurate just not as loud as I know they could be, built another box to the recommended ported specs and they are TOTALLY different, way louder especially on the low end and still tight, just not as sealed.
SnowDrifter Posted May 8, 2013 Report Posted May 8, 2013 This is a very broad generalizationBut ported boxes are larger and are louder. Sealed boxes are smaller and quieter. Sealed boxes are also much more forgiving since you don't need to worry about unloading, port area, etc. You can also get a ported box to play flatter than a sealed box. But output will fall off quickly below tuning. Whereas a sealed box has a gentle roll off to it ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
From_the_Valley Posted May 8, 2013 Report Posted May 8, 2013 Is it true that sealed boxes won't get as low as ported or is there too many variables like tuning to make a general decision on that? (Sorry to thread jack op)
SnowDrifter Posted May 8, 2013 Report Posted May 8, 2013 Pretty much it's one of those "too many variables" things. How low it will get is all in the design, and what you consider to be low. And what your definition of playing lower is lol. Playing it? Playing it loud? 30hz? 20hz? etc... ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
Krakin Posted May 8, 2013 Report Posted May 8, 2013 Is it true that sealed boxes won't get as low as ported or is there too many variables like tuning to make a general decision on that? (Sorry to thread jack op) If you have ever seen the Torres calculator their are many many variables that go into a well designed ported box. There are aero ports, L-ports, 1/2/3 common wall ports and much more into it. For example my last box I built for a single Skar VVX 10 v2. To go behind the seat in my '03 single cab Sierra. A sealed box is much more forgiving and much easier to make as a first time box builder. But in the end it all comes done to the situation and the sub(s) you use as to which enclosure you should use. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
From_the_Valley Posted May 8, 2013 Report Posted May 8, 2013 That's what I figured. I'm going to start a build with 2 vvx10 v2 in an underseat box for a truck just debating on what I want to build. I'll make another thread for that later though
skittlesRgood Posted May 8, 2013 Report Posted May 8, 2013 This is a very broad generalization But ported boxes are larger and are louder. Sealed boxes are smaller and quieter. Sealed boxes are also much more forgiving since you don't need to worry about unloading, port area, etc. You can also get a ported box to play flatter than a sealed box. But output will fall off quickly below tuning. Whereas a sealed box has a gentle roll off to it it's what he asked. and I've found that giving people level 5 information when they are on level 1, doesn't help them very much. i mean, this guys doesn't know about unloading or response curves. I'd bet that all went over his head. it would have gone over mine when I first asked that very same question. If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood. Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/ Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.