Sundown Audio

clean power

flood77

No clipping or distortion in the signal.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

When you look at music frequencys on a graph,that is how the music is intended to sound. When you clip an amplifier either signal clip or output clip,you start to change the waveform of the music,it becomes blocky and out of spectrum which is what you will hear from your speakers (distortion/heat/breakup) just another way to surpass the thermal rating on your drivers. It may sound louder it may even be louder, but what you are seeing is an amp being drivin outside of its power spectrum where it can no longer output clean frequencys waves. a good way to overheat drivers/amplifiers and damage. This is dirty power and should not even be a rating. I assume you know what clean power is now.

"Clean" means the amp is still operating at it's intended dynamic range. When you clip, the dynamic range gets smaller and everything gets like... squished together. That means extra power, but extra heat and less dynamics. You also intriduce harmonics into the signal. Which is what makes clipping/distortion sound like shit. Because you're playing frequencies other than the fundamental.

See here... this is a clean signal. notice how the dynamic peaks are very far apart.

clean_zps1eabf52f.png

This is what some may call a "soft clip" or still ok. Still a pretty good dynamic range, but the peaks and valleys are getting closer together. You can also see how the tops of the peaks are getting "clipped".

Slightclip_zpsb46e3c4a.png

Now... here is where we run into trouble. This is clipped pretty badly. See how it's all bunched up together? That's bad news and this would sound like ass.

clipped_zpsa3caacdf.png

Just for further illustration... this is clipped waveform as seen on an oscilloscope.

oscopeclip.jpg

Same amp... but "clean". Nice and round.

oscopeclean.jpg

Is it true that it is ok to clip a little if you are doing spl / burps?

For sure. It just depends on the amp how much clipping is the loudest. Some amps, like the RD D5, just get louder and louder. Some amps, like the Flatline FL2 or DD M3, don't get any louder clipped.

I don't ever scope my SPL amps. I just test and turn until it stops gaining. So I can't tell you how dirty it really is.

Archived