Mechman Alternators

Mechman,

First off let me say I have spoken to Josh on a couple of occasions. Very respectful and helpful. I also received your product in record time so big thumbs up to that!

Just recently installed your 240A alternator on my 2012 Toyota Camry. Since installation I have what seems to be a "chirping" sound when running. Have you ever heard of such a noise? Can you explain what it might be? I replaced the belt with a 1/2 inch smaller as recommended by Josh. A 1 inch smaller belt was too small. The noise is in the engine bay not through the speakers.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like belt slip. Does it do it all the time or only when the car is cold/hot?

Try seeing if it is belt slip. If you have an automatic tensioner the whole idea of getting a shorter belt is erroneous to fixing belt slip as the tensioner has the same amount of tension regardless on its position. To see if your tensioner is bad get some water and a spray bottle. Spray the water on the flat side of the belt and see if it goes away. If it does then your belt is not under enough tension and a new tensioner is needed. If you have a manual tensioner such as ones where you have to usually turn a bolt on the alternator to move it up and down you need to tighten it so your belt has less slack. If you find that spraying the back of the belt with water you still have squealing then you probably have a belt alignment issue. Check that all your ribbed pulleys such as the one on your alternator are in line with the ribbed pulley of your crank shaft. If they are out of alignment it will cause belt squeal. If that is not the case then the final thing is you have a bad bearing. Take the belt out and wiggle each pulley side to side and up and down. If it has play then that pulley is bad and needs to be replaced. Sometimes cars with idler pulleys such as my envoy the idler pulleys go to shit rather fast.

Lmk if you need anymore help!!

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Just check what I said with the water. You would be surprised how much that helped me out with my belt slip issue. I kept tossing money toward shitty advance auto belts that are super inferior and getting tensioners and idler pulleys until I figured out my belt slip issue. What I use now is an advance auto tensioner and idler pulley and then I have a Carquest Gates belt for it. The gates belt made all the difference. I noticed the one from advance had always slipped and would wear the paint off my idler pulley in 3 months and at that point my belt drive would squeal whenever my engine was cold.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Im sure they will still say it is belt slip. That is their most common problem they encounter and is not at all their fault. Seriously water is your friend with this. as long as you dont shove a power washer or hose in your engine then you will be fine. Just a few sprays on the back of the belt a few times to see if it goes away or not. Simple as that.