tacomaguy1 Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 not saying it would be a waste, but I wouldn't spend the extra money for sunflash if I'm just trying to waterproof the outside of a box. Get the cheap stuff it will work the same in the end Spend extra on sunflash for pods/door or something like that Team Flex Issues
Amart88 Posted May 30, 2013 Author Report Posted May 30, 2013 So just straight resin and mekp? Do I need to rough sand the mdf first? Skip the MEKP resin, get some sunflash http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-install-tools-electronics/smd-sunflash-resin/smd-sunflash-uv-activated-resin-1-us-quart.html Easy peazy I would love to have some sunflash, stuff looks pretty slick but I live on the opposite side of the continent and I don't think canada allows over a quart of chemical in one container to be shipped. It's a bit impractial by the time it got here. No doubt that stuff is great though. My 2005 s10 blazer build. 4 zcon 18's walled.
Chris Hammer Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 So just straight resin and mekp? Do I need to rough sand the mdf first? Skip the MEKP resin, get some sunflash http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-install-tools-electronics/smd-sunflash-resin/smd-sunflash-uv-activated-resin-1-us-quart.html Easy peazy I would love to have some sunflash, stuff looks pretty slick but I live on the opposite side of the continent and I don't think canada allows over a quart of chemical in one container to be shipped. It's a bit impractial by the time it got here. No doubt that stuff is great though. True, didn't think about canada. you can probably find other UV cure resin in canada though. I have some I bought a few months back before Sunflash was out. MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild***** Vehicles 2005 GMC Canyon CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.) crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it. CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg Sold to: Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585 Shower farts still piss me off.I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.
shogen Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 you just use the resin straight on the wood/MDF ... no mat necessary??? Resin. Brush it on, let it dry. All done. I use UV cure resin like steves SunFlash, makes it easy with no mixing. It soaks into the mdf and you can sand a little for a smooth surface to paint if you want. Resin gets my vote. Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear) beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.
Chris Hammer Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 you just use the resin straight on the wood/MDF ... no mat necessary??? Resin. Brush it on, let it dry. All done. I use UV cure resin like steves SunFlash, makes it easy with no mixing. It soaks into the mdf and you can sand a little for a smooth surface to paint if you want. Resin gets my vote. Yeah it's what I do on all my enclosures. It makes it easier to paint too. You can fiberglass with mat if you want extra strength, but just for sealing I pour a little resina nd use a bondo spreader on large flat areas or use a brush. MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild***** Vehicles 2005 GMC Canyon CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.) crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it. CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg Sold to: Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585 Shower farts still piss me off.I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.
shogen Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 Thanks Chris ... found these guys ... http://surfsource.net/store/category/sun_cure_uv_resin/ http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/products.html you just use the resin straight on the wood/MDF ... no mat necessary??? Resin. Brush it on, let it dry. All done. I use UV cure resin like steves SunFlash, makes it easy with no mixing. It soaks into the mdf and you can sand a little for a smooth surface to paint if you want. Resin gets my vote. Yeah it's what I do on all my enclosures. It makes it easier to paint too. You can fiberglass with mat if you want extra strength, but just for sealing I pour a little resina nd use a bondo spreader on large flat areas or use a brush. Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear) beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.
Chris Hammer Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 Thanks Chris ... found these guys ... http://surfsource.net/store/category/sun_cure_uv_resin/ http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/products.html you just use the resin straight on the wood/MDF ... no mat necessary??? Resin. Brush it on, let it dry. All done. I use UV cure resin like steves SunFlash, makes it easy with no mixing. It soaks into the mdf and you can sand a little for a smooth surface to paint if you want. Resin gets my vote. Yeah it's what I do on all my enclosures. It makes it easier to paint too. You can fiberglass with mat if you want extra strength, but just for sealing I pour a little resina nd use a bondo spreader on large flat areas or use a brush. Thats similar to what I use. I got mine from foamez. http://www.foamez.com/uv-cure-sanding-resin-quart-p-756.html Used maybe a 1/3rd of a quart for my tline. Still have quart and half left. Make sure whatever you get is sanding resin, not the laminating, laminating is supposed to stay tacky for the next coat. MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild***** Vehicles 2005 GMC Canyon CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.) crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it. CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg Sold to: Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585 Shower farts still piss me off.I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.
shogen Posted May 30, 2013 Report Posted May 30, 2013 Thanks again ... I did see that about the sanding ... was going to look into that only because I didn't care for finish just a coat or 2 of protecting wood.... I was also thinking about getting UV weatherproofing (similar for decks) but the costs are a bit more .... plus I only would be doing the false floor as I'd be staining/sealing my next enclosure or just painting it with bed liner/rhino paint/textured paint Thanks Chris ... found these guys ... http://surfsource.net/store/category/sun_cure_uv_resin/ http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/products.html you just use the resin straight on the wood/MDF ... no mat necessary??? Resin. Brush it on, let it dry. All done. I use UV cure resin like steves SunFlash, makes it easy with no mixing. It soaks into the mdf and you can sand a little for a smooth surface to paint if you want. Resin gets my vote. Yeah it's what I do on all my enclosures. It makes it easier to paint too. You can fiberglass with mat if you want extra strength, but just for sealing I pour a little resina nd use a bondo spreader on large flat areas or use a brush. Thats similar to what I use. I got mine from foamez. http://www.foamez.com/uv-cure-sanding-resin-quart-p-756.html Used maybe a 1/3rd of a quart for my tline. Still have quart and half left. Make sure whatever you get is sanding resin, not the laminating, laminating is supposed to stay tacky for the next coat. Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear) beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.
Amart88 Posted May 31, 2013 Author Report Posted May 31, 2013 I got some regular resin and some acetone. I'm going to thin it down a bit so it will soak into the MDF a tad more and go further. I will do a few thin coats and then paint. My 2005 s10 blazer build. 4 zcon 18's walled.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.