Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

port area vs. volume - a sacrifice must be made!


Port area vs volume  

4 members have voted

  1. 1. Less area, more volume or vice versa?

    • More volume
      0
    • Less volume, more port area
      4


Recommended Posts

Posted

Alright so. Workin on the new box and I have enough room to make it nice and big. DD specs say I can go anywhere from 3 cubes to 5 per 15, but I only have enough room to make port area for the lower volume enclosure. In other words, if I make the box 5 cubes per sub like I want, it drops my port area down to like 8in/ foot. How will it affect the sound with smaller area per foot? Should I go with big volume and less area per foot or shrink the box to match the recommended area per foot? Need ideas!

Subs are DD 9515s, amp is DD M3b - about 4300 watts @ 14.4.

Posted

DDs love port AND airspace. You can't sacrifice either in my opinion.

Edit-I'm not running those drivers, but this is known information. You should NOT skimp on either enclosure volume, or port area.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

DDs love port AND airspace. You can't sacrifice either in my opinion.

Edit-I'm not running those drivers, but this is known information. You should NOT skimp on either enclosure volume, or port area.

Yea. If I had an option I would. The problem is that my baffle is wide enough for the mounting holes and then a 12.5 x 8 port which gives me 100 inches of port, period. So my options are to make the volume on the smaller side at 3 cubes per woofer which will give me 16.67 in per foot if I want to stay in recommended specs. I need opinions on the BEST compromise. I don't want to compromise, but I have to. Not really a way around it.

Posted

Can you run aero ports to save some airspace from port displacement?

That's not the issue. I have a ton of available volume, I just don't have the AREA on the baffle to make the port any bigger. It is firing forward sealed from the trunk and I cant get any more real estate without seriously weakening the structure of my car by cutting pretty much the whole middle out between the wheelwells.

Posted

Why can't the volume of the enclosure go up then if space isn't an issue, I'm confused.

P.S. Sorry to clutter this thread up, I'm just trying to help sort it out and get this figured out for you. I might not run 15s if you can't get the space on the baffle to work with volume and/or port area

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Posted

Smaller box more power. With an m4 youd be ok with thessmaller box

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Posted

Why can't the volume of the enclosure go up then if space isn't an issue, I'm confused.

P.S. Sorry to clutter this thread up, I'm just trying to help sort it out and get this figured out for you. I might not run 15s if you can't get the space on the baffle to work with volume and/or port area

The volume can go up. The AREA is what I don't have room for. So if I take the volume up, the AREA PER FOOT of port inherently goes down. So if I have 100 sq inches of port, period, when I raise the volume of the enclosure, the area per foot goes down.

Smaller box more power. With an m4 youd be ok with thessmaller box

i will be stuck with the M3b for a bit.

Posted

i agree with smaller box more power. I know of no trunk car besides maybe grand marquee or crown vic that can fit DD 15s with proper space.

with DD there is no sacrifice of port area or volume. if you want to run a smaller box you have to put some power to them. You might have wanted to consider 12s. I ran 2 DD 12s in a cramed box which was 3.57 cubes net, then I built a box for 2 tens that was bigger than reccommended and they were louder and sounded cleaner.

People getting into DD especially need to know there is no sacrifice for space. dont know why it is but DD subs just need space.

you might be as loud going with 12s.

i personally would never run a DD 15 with less than 3.75 net and at least 60 sq inches of port per sub. if you can only get up to 100 sq in of port put 2 12s with 100 sq in of port and be happy.

i have the same problem with face of box space. i could barely fit 2 12s. pretty much just know that that is a very small box for those subs.

and keep the ratio anywhere from 15-18 sq in per cube. lower end is more daily, higher end mroe SPL but can be played daily if you know what you are doing

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 537 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...