Sonic Electronix

Thinking about making a lifes career in car audio. looking for input from anybody!

Ok..

(and the first asshole that hammers him for a sheet, can fuck yourself)

Bro,

I have a record also...... but, in time.... ive worked and worked, and worked, and finally hit a spot, where its legit.

If you want to make money, and support you and yours in this area. You are your only limit.

The ones that are nutty successful have broke their nut sack, in every way, shape and form.

Is it hard.... Bet your ass. Impossible,.. fuck that... no way. You can do it.

Suggestion is much schooling. Much hard hard hard work. Long hours. LONG hours.

If you want it........................................... go get it..

Good luck

My point of veiw is that I do car audio as a hobby that I enjoy. I feel if I were to do it day in day out for a living then I might not enjoy it so much. Good luck to you whatever you choose.

Ok, I once started out like yourself. Never got busted for anything I did though. Now I have a full time job and work at a car audio shop part time. I've been doing car audio for about 15 years. If your seriously interested hit me up with a private message. Give me your full name, and address. I'll mail you my copy of the MECP (Mobile Electronics Certified Professional) Basic Installation Technician Study Guide. I can also give you a list of websites to visit for knowledge and parts to order.

that felony charge is going to make it hard on you but it seems that you're pretty optimistic about things, that definitely helps a lot. since you took the Mobile Dynamics course, I'd tell you to go and get your MECP Basic certification. I know a lot of guys on the forums look down on MECP but it does help get your foot into the door of the industry. it'll cost you about $100 for book and test. You might be able to land a job at a Best Buy if you already have your MECP certification, it's a start. Best Buy rarely hires non Best Buy employees to be installers unless you know someone that works at the store. The pay is going to be around the $10 range but atleast you'll be in the door. Best Buy does offer decent training especially with alarms and remote starters. If you get in, i'd recommend just doing your job and test for MECP Advanced ASAP b/c they give you a pay raise for passing and an opportunity to be the shop manager after a few months. do that for about a year to learn the business from a retailer perspective than go to a real shop and make better money.

This is just one path that I'd recommend since you want it as a career. I personally don't think it's a good career for everyone wanting in b/c it can quickly turn from heaven to hell. I use to work at a shop full time and at first I loved it. Soon it became about turning and burning the installs so the owner (was a close friend, was) can make his money. I wasn't learning anything and there was not path for advancement or pay raises. I left and have done it as a hobby ever since. I am back to loving it again and I've learned tons over the years, and still learning.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

Thank you guys.

FasFocus00.... I would have never thought of that path. I was thinking it was more of going through the steps by doing your own car, then friends, then cars of friends of friends and so on and do forth. Thank you for opening open a new window for me.

alright bro i do this proffesionally and as a hobby i have worked at high grade shops and ghetto shops, the only way to learn in this industry is through experience, you can read everything you can be mecp certified but it doesnt mean shit if you dont know how to take the cars apart quickly and efficiently. my advice is go be a shop bitch some where, get real comfortable sweeping

honestly i love doing it as a hobby and i help out my friends with their installs and such, and it fun and all but i can see doing it day after day it would get old quick. try what everyone else has said and get your training, and try to get in the door of a shop, show them what you can do, work your way up. honestly i would stay away from the craigslist thing seeing as your dealing with peoples cars and it can be a costly mistake if you mess something up and have to explain to them what you did to their cars and such. i know i've had a few oh shit moments doing installs in friends cars, but doing it to a "customer" ins't going to fly and can cost alot to fix your mistakes. go to school for sure tho, and get in to a shop.

Im not going to tell you not to follow your dreams but I am going to give you my two cents. If you really want to persue it follow the avice above, get some certifications and go through a small private shop or w/e. Dont do the craigslist thing and im gonna tell you why.

A lot of people are VERY perticular about their cars, let alone their car audio. Lets observe some theoretical scenarios:

Say you screw something small up, scraptch some hard plastic, break some clips. No biggie right, you buy the parts to fix it, maybe you break even or make a little.

Say you screw something bigger up, wire something backwards, blow some equptment your definately in the hole. You dont want to pay your probably going to get sued.

Say something goes terribly wrong and something you worked on sets on fire while some guys driving down a major highway he careens into traffic and kills a family of 4 in a mini van. Your very screwed.

How likely is the above 3? #1 probably gonna happen alot, #2 once in a blue moon assuming your careful. #3 probably never, but its intended to make you think about the risk you run by being liable for your own work.

At least if your working for some one else they carry insurance for things like the above. Work for somebody else gain some expertise, get some cash, make sure this is really what you want to do with your life.

Best of luck.

Archived