1999 Chevrolet Blazer - Stereo Integrity, Ground Zero, Soundstream

So, just to go over things: DC 5.0k, wired to .7ohms. Set gain with sub level at 0 on HU, -2 is where I believe I'm safe right now, that's where I don't smell coil.

These tests were done with one of the songs that the sub's been getting hot/stinky with, that main note is somewhere in the mid 30's. I set the DMM to max hold, but the clamp meter didn't have that feature, so I'll just take the max I seen on the clamp meter to give the benefit of the doubt here. Not super accurate, but it will give the max possible wattage I could have seen at any one time.

Test 1 - Sub level at -2 on HU

VAC - 53.9V

Amps - 33.2A

Watts - 1789W

Impedance - 1.6ohms

Test 2 - Sub level at -1 on HU

VAC - 61.1V

Amps - 37.5A

Watts - 2291W

Impedance - 1.6ohms

Test 3 - Sub level at 0 on HU.

VAC - 67.7V

Amps - 41A

Watts - 2775W

Impedance - 1.6ohms

All I did were these three, played it literally about 15-20 seconds longer, and I smelled coil and the cap was warm.

Thoughts?

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

I know you have volt meters, but have you checked voltage at the amp inputs with a DMM while doing similar tests?

I doubt that is the case, but you are on the low side on battery reserve for 5k, regardless of the 270xp.

Would also put the "electrical" blame to rest, for yourself and the internetters

Yes I have a lot of stereo weight. I build for Smiles Per Gallon not Miles Per Gallon LOLZ

My build - 1996 4Runner with 2 18s - 149+ in a sealed box (with radiators)

0a4ee87c-28c8-4bf8-9dfe-5a06b9dea2dc_zps

3e3eb9dd-70f8-4424-ad11-ccebcd929ac4_zps

checked your batteries individually?

I have not.

I know you have volt meters, but have you checked voltage at the amp inputs with a DMM while doing similar tests?

I doubt that is the case, but you are on the low side on battery reserve for 5k, regardless of the 270xp.

Would also put the "electrical" blame to rest, for yourself and the internetters

So here's my logic: if there's something wrong with my electrical, if there's not enough supply, I will see clipping in the output. Right? Like, that's the whole problem with not enough electrical? Supply and/or voltage will affect output, but you would see that on a scope. I may not be getting the full output I can get out of the amp, but what I'm getting is clean.

Am I wrong?

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

I forgot they were heating up as well. (to what I was saying earlier)

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Electrical doesn't seem to be the issue here at all, even if he has what some are saying to be the low side of the battery reserve... That woofer is getting a clean signal.

Not to mention, he said he has a 270 alt, and 3 batteries and he's not having issues after playing hours at a time draining down, he has had them near instantly... And, he was having the problems when he's clamping 1.7k watts which he has well more than enough electrical for.

Everybody always talks about this famous Tantric smell... So you're more than likely having that happening and freaking you out (justifiably) or there is actually some issues with the woofer itself being it is a fresh build and you're having problems from the start.

Amp isn't getting any warmer than it did on the last setup. I really don't think electrical is the issue at this point.

Archived