Second Skin Audio

first time box building

mjnp06

hi

im building my first box with an obsidian 15" sub and a vibe blackbox amp(800w@8ohm, 1500@2ohm, 1250@1ohm), its going in a 2001 dodge stratus. ive got the box built but wondering what to do with the ports and bracing. thinking of an aeroport, either 1 4" or 2 3" ports. not sure if i need any bracing or not. the dimensions are 13.5" high X 25" wide X 23.5" deep. i would like it tuned to around 30htz.. thanks in advance for any help.

100_1131_zps41ebc9cc.jpg[/url]

100_1132_zps29f64124.jpg[/url]

100_1133_zpsfad6c4d5.jpg[/url]

So you're at 3.5 cubes gross internal space right now. That's a good AFTER port displacement. Aeros will be necessity I'll say because they'll eat the LEAST amount of internal volume up. A couple of 4" ports should do it. You'll have to figure out the length to get your desired tune. You may get away with a single 6" if you can get the length right for your desired tune. Good luck with it, start calculating what you'll need for port and how much volume it'd going to displace. Don't forget the sub itself will displace around .16 cubes itself(total guess, but I'll bet I'm in the ballpark).

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

So you're at 3.5 cubes gross internal space right now. That's a good AFTER port displacement. Aeros will be necessity I'll say because they'll eat the LEAST amount of internal volume up. A couple of 4" ports should do it. You'll have to figure out the length to get your desired tune. You may get away with a single 6" if you can get the length right for your desired tune. Good luck with it, start calculating what you'll need for port and how much volume it'd going to displace. Don't forget the sub itself will displace around .16 cubes itself(total guess, but I'll bet I'm in the ballpark).

thanks sierra

i figured after the sub volume and the port volume i will have 3.2 cubic feet, tuned to 32 hz, i will need a 6 inch port, just under 19 inches. can i get an aero port 19 inches long? or an adjustable port. have you messed with an octo port before?

thanks

mike

thanks sierra

i figured after the sub volume and the port volume i will have 3.2 cubic feet, tuned to 32 hz, i will need a 6 inch port, just under 19 inches. can i get an aero port 19 inches long? or an adjustable port. have you messed with an octo port before?

thanks

mike

You can buy a 6 inch PVC pipe, not the best but works.

Precision port has aeros for sale that you can buy here.

http://www.psp-inc.com/products_menu.html

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived