Police Scanner Question

So this may be a dumb question, but I'm totally blanking. What's the difference between say a 10 channel scanner and a 100 channel scanner? Is that how many channels it can store? or is it how many it can pick up?

Thanks,

Avery

2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 W/ 6 Speed

Build Log

2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor 6.2

Build Log

YouTube

its how many channels you can enter and scan through.

Usually you got to enter all the codes yourself, at least back when i had mine. Iirc the only channel thhat was pre programmed was thhe weather one that got deleted.

if your just wanting to know whats going around in your town, a 10channel maybe fine, You should be ablle to get your police, state patrol, sheriff, a couple different fire departments, ambulance, city highway all entered, and maybe a few towing companies id you can find their codes. Unless your in a rather larger town where you have 5 to 15 different police precinct, then you would need more channels.

Thank so much that is exactly what I needed to know!!! And I live in a fairly small town so I should be good. Once again thank you Brian!

Build Log

Build Log

YouTube

Costs more but get a trunking scanner, good chance the town you live in went to a trunking system.

Can you not pick up trunking signals without a trunking scanner? That would make sense. And how would I go about finding what system my town uses?

Build Log

Build Log

YouTube

Yes, you need a trunking scanner to if thats what they are using, then it comes down to buying a digital or analog.

Then sometimes some departments might be on a digital trunking system, while others are using an encrypted edacs form that no scanners can pick up..

All honestly if your just wanting something to listen to in your free time, use an online streaming scanner, much easier less hassle. I think radiorefrence.com has streaming scanners. Only downfall is calls are delayed a couple minutes. but when i hear things like house fires on mine, i sometimes get in the car and cruise off to check thhem out, and beat most the fire trucks to the scene so its not really to bad of a delay.

Well you could use the Radio Scanner app on your smartphone hooked up via AUX in your car :)

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

What county do you live in? I can tell you exactly what scanner you need. Also, just an FYI, scanners are legal in Oregon, or most of the west coast for that matter (except when used in furtherance of a crime in California).

POTATO!

Archived