Sundown Audio

(solved)for unknown reason orion sub putting amp into protect mode.

Terry Lee

I'd set the infrasonic (subsonic) filter to about thirty and let it ride bro.

Check back in and let me know how the bass sounds if you can.

bass actually sounds pretty fkn good. compared to when i had it hooked up b4. i mean, i did have the positive and negative backwards... i dont know when professional shops started using the cord with the line on it as positive, but w/e, pretty sweet, thank you :) im assuming bass boost doesnt do nothing or is a useless feature considering most people have said that time and time again.... also i have my amp on lpf only and have the lpf knob up all the way,

i dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing, so i figured i would address it.

sub deff used to bang way harder in my friends car, but even shop he went to had bass boost up at like 70 pct or something. i dont wanna do anything thats unhealthy for my amp/sub tho

Bass boost isn't a bad thing when it's used for the correct reasons. But you don't need it on an SPL system that's gonna be played at high volumes. As for the crossover, that's a matter of preference. Being in your trunk you probably aren't hearing the mid bass coming from the box due to the high crossover setting but, the sub and amp will perform better if you set it at ~80 hz rather than 250hx, which is where you have it. This is because you only want the sub and sub amp to have to reproduce low bass notes. Right now you're forcing them to try to play every note between 20hz and 250hz which frankly, is like you trying to do twenty five things at once... it's a lot easier to only do the things you need to do and let someone else do the rest. Same with the subwoofer.

And yeah, a lot of shops set the bass boost high so that the sub will seem to hit harder than it actually does. Especially when they build a shit cabinet and sell someone shit components to go with it. I'm not saying that's the case with your system, just that that's pretty common among shops owned and operated by people who don't actually understand how to design and install a system properly. Of course, then there are those who only care about making money and could give two shits if they actually provide a quality product to their customers. I've been behind a lot of those kinds of installs and I'm sure a lot of other guys here have a well.

Lastly... of course it sounds good even though it's not hitting as hard as it was. That's because the components are working together instead of against one another. You're getting as much power as you can as clean as you can and that will always sound better than getting ten times as much power that's all clipped and distorted. Oh and, check on the Hifonics HFi-1500. You mentioned you wanted a 1500 watt amp and this is one that comes close to doing rated. I have one in my truck right now and I've actually been pretty impressed with it considering that it was under $200.00.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Thanks man. Everyone starts out knowing nothing and all of us hardcore speaker nerdz have to keep in mind that most people don't want to know all this shit... they just want their system to work.

Yeah, we live in Shreveport but she works in the movie industry so she's in the BIg Easy, Lafayette or Red Bat often. Not real often but usually a few months out of the year, which is an eternity for two people who have been married since we were seventeen and eighteen years old... almost thirty years ago.

I hear you there my wife and i have been married 13 years last jan. Cant imagine life without her. Its been a while so i cant remember the name of the lakes but i used to love fishing down there. Also i used to work at a little crawfish boil house down there. I did it all. Work the fields run the traps soak them down and boil em up. Mmmmmm i miss that place! Cant get a good mud bug up here in north tx. Insert sad face here.

I just wish i had a funny sig.

Where you at now? We grew up in Tyler, but moved here about 8 years ago. Wish we'd have moved here sooner, lol.

Bass boost isn't a bad thing when it's used for the correct reasons. But you don't need it on an SPL system that's gonna be played at high volumes. As for the crossover, that's a matter of preference. Being in your trunk you probably aren't hearing the mid bass coming from the box due to the high crossover setting but, the sub and amp will perform better if you set it at ~80 hz rather than 250hx, which is where you have it. This is because you only want the sub and sub amp to have to reproduce low bass notes. Right now you're forcing them to try to play every note between 20hz and 250hz which frankly, is like you trying to do twenty five things at once... it's a lot easier to only do the things you need to do and let someone else do the rest. Same with the subwoofer.

And yeah, a lot of shops set the bass boost high so that the sub will seem to hit harder than it actually does. Especially when they build a shit cabinet and sell someone shit components to go with it. I'm not saying that's the case with your system, just that that's pretty common among shops owned and operated by people who don't actually understand how to design and install a system properly. Of course, then there are those who only care about making money and could give two shits if they actually provide a quality product to their customers. I've been behind a lot of those kinds of installs and I'm sure a lot of other guys here have a well.

Lastly... of course it sounds good even though it's not hitting as hard as it was. That's because the components are working together instead of against one another. You're getting as much power as you can as clean as you can and that will always sound better than getting ten times as much power that's all clipped and distorted. Oh and, check on the Hifonics HFi-1500. You mentioned you wanted a 1500 watt amp and this is one that comes close to doing rated. I have one in my truck right now and I've actually been pretty impressed with it considering that it was under $200.00.

Thanks man. Everyone starts out knowing nothing and all of us hardcore speaker nerdz have to keep in mind that most people don't want to know all this shit... they just want their system to work.

yea obviously i didnt kno crap, ive melted 2 amps in the past and had no idea about the gain setting and how to use it properly. ive also melted out multiple sony explodes but had the warranty so i could return it, multiple explodes exploded.

i actually like knowing about all this, ive hooked up multiple systems in other peoples vehicles, though i do it a bit more properly then i do my own for some reason.

thanks all of you, yes im a noob with the sub/amp stuff, but ive learned alot i can put to use in the future and i appreciate it all very much

Well, now you can go back to those guys and set their gains properly!

Archived