Purplehaze Posted July 13, 2013 Report Posted July 13, 2013 Okay so I have a question here for someone smarter than myself, which could be anyone. It is probably a stupid question, with a blatantly obvious answer. But here it is anyway.Question:What would happen if a person tried to use a passive radiator in a bandpass enclosure? Like for example, a 4th order for 4 - 15's, but only use 2 - 15's and 2 passive radiators? Is this something that has been tried? Or is it a stupid idea that would never ever work? Please discuss! Kickin' Cruiser Seller Feedback Stage 3 Dash, Door Panels,4th Order wall 4 - 15'son a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K'sSolo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build
Nikitaaa Posted July 13, 2013 Report Posted July 13, 2013 Like using real passive radiators or just two subs not hooked up? 2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX (4) Sundown Audio X-8's (2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's (3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries (1) Mechman 240 3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunkTEAM NWSPLBest termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 classBest termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class155db outlaw
Purplehaze Posted July 13, 2013 Author Report Posted July 13, 2013 Like using real passive radiators or just two subs not hooked up? No, I mean real passive radiators. Kickin' Cruiser Seller Feedback Stage 3 Dash, Door Panels,4th Order wall 4 - 15'son a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K'sSolo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build
Nikitaaa Posted July 13, 2013 Report Posted July 13, 2013 I gotcha. Do they make passive radiators that would handle a lot power? (not directly obviously but just withstand more air movement) Maybe they make radiators that are specifically geared towards 4ths. 2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX (4) Sundown Audio X-8's (2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's (3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries (1) Mechman 240 3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunkTEAM NWSPLBest termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 classBest termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class155db outlaw
n8ball2013 Posted July 13, 2013 Report Posted July 13, 2013 the radiators are not really powered though. there is no motoro and coil to drive. intersting thought not sure what would happen. THERE IS NO BUILD LOG! 1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab Alpine CDA-9887 4 Team Fi 15s 2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0 2 Ampere Audio 150.4 3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound! 8 XS Power d3400 6 XS power d680 Second Skin Stinger Tsunami Wiring Sky High A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.
SnowDrifter Posted July 13, 2013 Report Posted July 13, 2013 You'd want 4 passive radiators for 2 15s. Rule of thumb is you want the PRs to have double the cone area of the original driver. As for how kt would behave: I'd guess similar to a 6th ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
Loudintha509 Posted July 13, 2013 Report Posted July 13, 2013 I am not sure this would work in a bandpass situation. The pressure might rip the hell out of it. Plus not sure if this is correct but the speaker will be pushing the radiator out but the force from the bandpass would be pushing it back in. Cancellation? I wish every body had beat so I wouldnt have to turn my shit down. Fosgate for life running there shit since I was 16 going on 15 years strong. Not stopping any time soon.
Purplehaze Posted July 13, 2013 Author Report Posted July 13, 2013 You'd want 4 passive radiators for 2 15s. Rule of thumb is you want the PRs to have double the cone area of the original driver. As for how kt would behave: I'd guess similar to a 6th Oh yeah, I forgot about that, would need 4 PR's for 2 subs. Damn. I could have sworn that I seen this somewhere, a 1:1 PR setup. But probably not. I am not sure this would work in a bandpass situation. The pressure might rip the hell out of it. Plus not sure if this is correct but the speaker will be pushing the radiator out but the force from the bandpass would be pushing it back in. Cancellation? That's a good question. But if that's the case then how would it not happen in normal 4th orders? (cancellation) I'm probably just not thinking right. But honestly I still have a lot to learn, about bandpass and about passive radiators. And car audio in general for that matter. Kickin' Cruiser Seller Feedback Stage 3 Dash, Door Panels,4th Order wall 4 - 15'son a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K'sSolo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build
Purplehaze Posted July 13, 2013 Author Report Posted July 13, 2013 Anyone else? Kickin' Cruiser Seller Feedback Stage 3 Dash, Door Panels,4th Order wall 4 - 15'son a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K'sSolo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build
Kevin M Posted July 13, 2013 Report Posted July 13, 2013 https://www.google.com/search?q=using+passive+radiators+in+a+bandpass+enclosure&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb Ton of info. 2005 Ford Focus zx4 AMT's and Planars 18" Infinite baffle
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.