XS Power

I popped the hood on my truck to adjust my headlight and noticed a sizzling/hissing noise coming from under the hood. I thought it was the engine or cooling system at first since I was just driving it but it appears that it's coming from the battery. I have a 2003 Chevy S10 Xtreme,3400 underhood,D1200 in the cab,with an Excessive Amperage 300 amp alt. charges about 14.8 when first cranked then goes to around 14.4 once warm,battery voltage was resting at 12.89V when I tested it after hearing the noise from battery.

Did you test at the alt with a volt meter? I had a voltage regulator on an alt go out and cause the same symptoms. I was going as high as 18.6v when my regulator took a dump.

Did you test at the alt with a volt meter? I had a voltage regulator on an alt go out and cause the same symptoms. I was going as high as 18.6v when my regulator took a dump.

14.25 on alt at idle

I would go buy a Autozone or something and have them run a battery tester since your voltage is good.

If the battery is whistling then I would guess you have some high voltage going to it at some time. That is primarily the case for having one whistling. At some point the battery gets too high of voltage and it causes the vent covers to raise up, which can cause a whistle. Did you smell sulfur? If not then you are probably still good to go. How old is the battery?

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

If the battery is whistling then I would guess you have some high voltage going to it at some time. That is primarily the case for having one whistling. At some point the battery gets too high of voltage and it causes the vent covers to raise up, which can cause a whistle. Did you smell sulfur? If not then you are probably still good to go. How old is the battery?

No I didn't smell sulfur & I bought the battery from Mechman in February & put it in around the first of March. I've got to meet with Excessive Amperage to clamp my alt so I'll check for voltage spikes while it's under a load.

I'm taking my truck to excessive amperage to let him check my alternator so I'll find out if it's spiking or not.

I'm taking my truck to excessive amperage to let him check my alternator so I'll find out if it's spiking or not.

Put a meter on it...

Use the MIN/MAX option.. go nuts

That's my plan,probably going to do that this weekend myself to see if I see any spikes. My DMM doesn't have the min/max feature though,I got a deal on a meter kit at a supply house a few years ago when I worked for an electrical company...2013-07-17182600_zps1a249484.jpg