XS Power

I am looking at adding an additional battery to my current setup, which is only slightly over 5,000w RMS. My setup as it currently stands:

1 - 250amp H.O. Alternator (full 250amp output @ 1,200rpm)

2 - Optima Red Top Batteries under the hood (dual battery kit)

1 - 12 Farad Audiobahn Capacitor

1 - Metra Electronics Install Bay IB-200 (200amp Battery Isolator or Relay)

I am just looking to get the full power out of my amps, not sure if I'd even need another battery in the rear with the amps. Because I don't know what the requirement thresholds are (ie. watts/amps/volts) to require an additional battery back by the amps. Space is limited, and I want to avoid removing the third row seat, so a small yet effective battery (or batcap) would be great. Just looking for your thoughts.

Thank you in advance to all the experts/techs/installers/enthusiasts!

1994 Mazda RX7 with LS1 Swap and 2 - 10" Kicker L7's in Truck Boxes (because of extremely limited hatch space)

2003 GMC Yukon XL with 3 - 12" MTX 9500's and still has the third row seat (over 7.5 cu ft of enclosures behind third row)

1971 Chevrolet Nova with LS1 Swap (work in progress, most likely 4 - 12" Alpine Type R's as I already have them)

1961 Chevrolet Corvette Restomod with LS7 Swap (system upgrade will be one of the first things that I'll do)

Solo Basshead For The Most Part, None Of My Close Friends Have A Passion For It, Nor The Money For It. If I'm Home And Free... Always Looking To Meet Up With A Fellow Enthusiast To Talk Shop Or Do Demos! Hard To Find Fellow Bassheads (Not Crack or Heroin Addicts, I Can Find Them Everywhere) In Baltimore / Mid-Atlantic / DMV areas.

What amps are you running and at what ohm loads?

If you are running a true 5k amp, i would go with 2 D3100s or 1 d7500

Here's what I'm running... 3 - MTX Thunder1501D's (1500w RMS @ 2 ohms), 1 - Alpine PDX-4.150 4-Channel (100w per channel @ 4 ohms) and 1 - Infinity 7541A 4-Channel (100w per channel @ 4 ohms)

1994 Mazda RX7 with LS1 Swap and 2 - 10" Kicker L7's in Truck Boxes (because of extremely limited hatch space)

2003 GMC Yukon XL with 3 - 12" MTX 9500's and still has the third row seat (over 7.5 cu ft of enclosures behind third row)

1971 Chevrolet Nova with LS1 Swap (work in progress, most likely 4 - 12" Alpine Type R's as I already have them)

1961 Chevrolet Corvette Restomod with LS7 Swap (system upgrade will be one of the first things that I'll do)

Solo Basshead For The Most Part, None Of My Close Friends Have A Passion For It, Nor The Money For It. If I'm Home And Free... Always Looking To Meet Up With A Fellow Enthusiast To Talk Shop Or Do Demos! Hard To Find Fellow Bassheads (Not Crack or Heroin Addicts, I Can Find Them Everywhere) In Baltimore / Mid-Atlantic / DMV areas.

Sorry... I'm in Afghanistan. I have to email back home for this info. I would wait until I got home, but I want it up and running at full power by the time I come home for R&R late next month. I have 2 of these Optima Red Tops under the hood.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/us/en/shop/redtop/optima-batteries-8004-003-34-78-redtop-starting-battery/

If I replace these 2 with larger (because I have more room in the locations under the hood where these currently sit) batteries, would that be enough extra amperage? I was thinking of going with 2 XS Power batteries, but I'd want side and top mount posts, as my batteries currently have it that way and I'm using both posts. I looked on XS Powers site, and couldn't find any with side and top mount posts, do you offer any? Would the XS Power batteries with the extra amperage negatively effect any of my stock ECU or anything else? (sorry, I'm a novice, asking questions trying to learn).

Edited by PaulPumpsBass

Ok... I had my sister check it. When the stereo is on without the car running, it is at about 9.6v. When the car is started, it is between 13.1v-13.8v depending on the song playing.

• 3 weeks later...

What is your voltage doing now? Do you play for long periods with the car off?

Ok... I had my sister check it. Apparently my Dad stole my second battery for his mini-van, because I'm in Afghanistan until next month and no one is driving my Yukon until I'm home for R&R for a few weeks next month. When the stereo is on without the car running, it is at about 9.6v. When the car is started, it is between 13.1v-13.8v depending on the song playing. I don't play the stereo with the car off for longer than about 10-15 minutes if I'm waiting for somebody to pick up something in a store, or make a bank withdraw. If I expect them to be longer than that... I'll usually go in with them.

• 2 weeks later...