Get in touch with Kyle at dc power they can build anything you need there.

Hopefully, I just browsed their website/online car configurator. The only thing listed for a 1996 VW Golf was their $750 320A alt, maybe a bit overkill for the system planned :) But maybe they can build something like a 180-200A mid level alt? I'll get in touch. With shipping to Norway and import taxes, that $750 alt will be closer to $1300-1500 in total, so a bit overkill on both performance and price ;)

I'm digging the paint color and the cleanliness of the install is pretty amazing.

Neat idea with the acrylic in front of the speakers.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you :) Big things happening over winter, stay tuned ;)

Hey Haakon i've been meaning to send you a PM on talkaudio but seeing as i'm signed in here:

I properly love this build, mainly because its a blue mk3 golf with those hella rear lights!

Drop me a PM if you need any info on OEM alternators for the mk3 as there are a few ways you can do it. I'd be happy to send you a few pictures of mine :)

Thanks :) I had a 180A OEM Valeo unit from a 2L TDI Touran, it looked very much like the stock one in the Golf, not sure about pulley wheel though, if they were identical. Sold it after I sold the TDI Lupo I had, it was meant to replace the alt in that car.

Small and fun project for today, build a transmission line box for a single 5" focal mini subwoofer :) I had one left from my previous install, and when discussing this topic on another forum I decided to just try it myself, especially with this video in mind:

http://youtu.be/u8yArcObFZI

So this is what I made, after using a T-line calculator online for my specific driver:

Parts cut in 12mm mdf:
IMG_4164_zps7a8c66ab.jpg
Parts superglued together :D
IMG_4165_zps8602d938.jpg
Damping added as pr instructions on the T-line calculator page:
IMG_4166_zpsbb6ce526.jpg
install top plate, router a hole for speaker, add some speaker wire and install, job done :D
IMG_4169_zpsfc75b770.jpg
Not pretty, but functional it is :)

Very interesting ... Thank you for posting !!!

Gives me an idea for my new kick pannel midbass / sub bass drivers ... They will be in ported and tuned enlosures ...

hopw you don't mind ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

This is a cool build man....I always admire SQ builds....mostly because I don't understand a lot of what goes into it haha. I'd love to have the Festool....They look to be flawless; but they better be if your payin' the price haha

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

The Festool is the best purchase I've made for years and years. If only I had known about this 10 or 15 years ago, how much easier I would have made it for myself over the years... And 15+ years on a Festool for hobby use is like half a year of industrial everyday use like they are built for.

Speaking of useful tools, I ordered a SMD IM-SG today from the SMD ebay shop. From the videos of it I find this very useful, both to make exact measurements of owned speakers (manufacturers TS specs are usually waaay off and at best a rough estimate, not precise specs at all).

Also havnig a tool that can tell you box tuning just by connecting it to the drivers in the box would be great to have. They had 1 left in stock when I ordered, but soon got a mail about that they actually were out of stock at the moment.. but would be shipped in about a week. So with international shipping I won't see it for at least 3 weeks from now. Oh well. For those who wait etc :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got my SMD IM-SG the other day, it took almost a month from purchase date to delivery. 2 weeks of this because no customs documents were included in the shipment and it was held back in customs.. not good.

But I got it and it works, so looking forward to putting it to use!

I've sold the Utopia mids and ordered a set of Dynaudio Esotar 650. These may (hopefully at least) be the best option within the limitations of my class of competition, where they must fit behing factory grilles, and also be shallow enough to clear the window. Most expensive mids I've ever bought, they retail for a cool $1200/pr.. Looks good though!

dynaudio_esotar650.jpg

3" voice coil and 1000w peak power handling.. Good, because that is not much more than what the amp for them can deliver ;)

• 5 weeks later...

Small and fun project for today, build a transmission line box for a single 5" focal mini subwoofer :) I had one left from my previous install, and when discussing this topic on another forum I decided to just try it myself, especially with this video in mind:

http://youtu.be/u8yArcObFZI

So this is what I made, after using a T-line calculator online for my specific driver:

Parts cut in 12mm mdf:
IMG_4164_zps7a8c66ab.jpg
Parts superglued together :D
IMG_4165_zps8602d938.jpg
Damping added as pr instructions on the T-line calculator page:
IMG_4166_zpsbb6ce526.jpg
install top plate, router a hole for speaker, add some speaker wire and install, job done :D
IMG_4169_zpsfc75b770.jpg
Not pretty, but functional it is :)

Nice little T-line. How does it sound in comparison to your previous build?

• 2 months later...

Okay through my some of my favorite amps in my face, it's okay.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived