Sonic Electronix

What do people mean by 4th order box ?

is my cubes ok my rear chamber is 4 cubes and the frnt is 2.5 cubes

You went from saying you build 6th and 8th orders to asking is your math right in literally a page of this thread.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

id like to get another 18 so I can do a push pull isobaric 6th BP

I'd like to see pictures and video of any of the boxes you've built to see. You keep saying you have this experience and that 4th orders are relatively easy to figure out. I'd like to see some examples of boxes that you've whipped together. Especially when the idea of port area is escaping you. I'm not trying to be harsh but at this point, I see a bunch of talk and no proof to back it up. I'm not typically a guy that requires proof, but in this instance I'm going to be. I hate to see the spread of misinformation, that's all.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

By the way, John is one I trust from how he speaks and the knowledge I've seen him post. I've never had to ask him for examples of his work because I know he knows what he's talking about, that's the difference.

well I was positive about my math cus I had used a calculator on a website called home theatre shack so the site had to be wrong im guessin and I do no about them boxes iv been told by a lot of ppl that the 18 OA is really good in a 6th order

[media][/media]

Yeah, the driver might be well suited for A 6th order enclosure. The enclosure is EXACTLY what I'm referring to though, the design. I'm not terribly confident in the enclosure or enclosures that you're speaking of with, what appear to be port areas that are not at ALL appropriate. And you keep saying OA, are you referring to Obsidian audio, because you've never once mentioned the full name of the company if so.

Yeah, the driver might be well suited for A 6th order enclosure. The enclosure is EXACTLY what I'm referring to though, the design. I'm not terribly confident in the enclosure or enclosures that you're speaking of with, what appear to be port areas that are not at ALL appropriate. And you keep saying OA, are you referring to Obsidian audio, because you've never once mentioned the full name of the company if so.

Yes and sorry for not just saying obsidian audio I have the v2 d2 18in

[media][/media]

Here's the OS 18 modeled in WinISD Beta in a 6th order with the parameters mentioned. Look at the purple graph:

OS186thodr_zps95eab8c3.png

With an EBP of 29, this is not a good driver for ported or 6th order enclosures. And as you can see, it has a nasty peak at 36 hz and goes -3dB at 28 hz. That driver in that enclosure would be stoopid loud at around 40 hz but it would have zero low end extension. Surprisingly enough, the ports aren't necessarily too small given that this isn't a high powered sub but, if you were to put a lot of power to it, then the ports would be noisy. Vent mach for them is .02 & .03, front and rear, which indicates a good air flow for rated power. Port lengths are pretty accurate for the tuning but as has been said, that tuning automatically creates a narrow bandwidth, peaky monster of a cabinet.

The yellow graph is the best I could get out of that sub in a few minutes and it's not all that good, unless you're into peaky bass or you're building a burp box. But notice the 2:1 ratio and the one octave separation between the chambers. One octave isn't always the best but it is usually best to stick with one to two octaves of separation, as that will get you a more smooth pass band. Again, usually. All drivers are different, which kinda goes without saying.

In the end, that sub needs to be in a 4th order to be happy and I wouldn't do an isobaric sub configuration with anything but a couple of low powered woofers with very little xmax and then only when space was absolutely not available.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Archived